install turbo on mk1 gti

Discussion in 'Turbocharged, Supercharged or Nitrous !' started by oak7ey, Oct 6, 2011.

1. oak7ey New Member

Hi after much searching and patience i managed to buy a mk1 golf driver1.3 3 door which was fully converted into a Gti 1.8 by the previous owner. Now i am not an expert in these matters so just a little about the car and what was done.

Tsr piper cam
    Ported and polished head
    4 branch manifold
    Complete stainless steel supersprint exhaust
    Pulls extremely well in all gears and sometimes feels like i could do with a 6th gear. The engine what ever has been done is extremely fast reving.

As i am new to this i purchased a turbo last night and just wondering if this is a straight forward conversion or do i need to get many other bits and bobs. Anyway here is a pic of the turbo

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/150671256162?ssPageName=STRK:MEWAX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1438.l2648

Hope that link works, pls tell me what your thoughts and ideas are and if **** has done this before.

Am i wasting my time or can this be done?
    Thanks in advance

2. sambo Paid Member Paid Member

Anything can be done!

But,..... i would say i dont think you should go turbo route for various reasons

1 Your car seems well sorted now so why ruin it?

2 You come accross as not beign able to carry out conversion your self(no offence!) so you will have to pay someone to do it =

3 You will need many other parts if you want to do it properly and that includes some of the engine internals =

4 Aftermarket management required as well, also =

Like i said anything is possible but all you may end up with is a mk1 that wont be as enjoyable to drive on the road as it does now!

3. drunkenalan Paid Member Paid Member

IMO you have been had!!, thats a diesel turbo and manifold. it will physically bolt to the engine, but diesel turbos are different to petrol turbos. the manifold is restrictive.

it has been done tried but i dont think it ever worked search 8v turbo. there arent many knocking around.

if you wanted and easy conversion an 8v turbo isnt it. you would need a standalone ecu, a method of lowering the compression and intercooler and pipework, oh and a proper turbo and manifold and downpipe.

you need skills to do this conversion

and you have a good spec engine, work with that.

just my 2p

4. drunkenalan Paid Member Paid Member

bugger sam beat me to it!!

5. oak7ey New Member

How can you tell its a diesel turbo and manifold? if it is i need to return it and just stick with my car as it is :(

6. turbotommy Forum Member

I think its a diesel turbo too,google the part number on the turbo and you'll find out for sure what its off.
    The 90 deg exit on the cold side makes me think PD engine,V band exhaust too.

7. oak7ey New Member

now i am really in pickle as the guy i bought it from was told the same thing when he purchased it ( for a petrol car ) I will just have to return it:(

Much appreciated for all the advice

8. g60gerry Paid Member Paid Member

Its a petty that you could not land yourself a turbo technics manifold, they are floating about on ebay. There two different types to fit the Mk1 and mk2, the two are distinguishable one has a slightly T3 angled flange. Then you would have to change a few more other things around the engine to accommodate force-induction.

Go ahead with it if you get a chance, it is very interesting to say the least.

9. Brookster

Brookster Paid Member Paid Member

Yeah VNT Turbo off a PD isn't it.

could do with one of those at some point to chop and weld for my 3 Cylinder 1.4 TDI .