Installation instructions for mk3 cluster into mk2 gti

Discussion in 'Electrical' started by Hrvat_vr6, Mar 10, 2013.

1. Hrvat_vr6 New Member

So I ran into a serious snag trying to swap in a mk3 vr6 cluster from a 96 into my 89 gti vr6 swap. Currently the car has a ce1 mk2 cluster that is somewhat functional as the speedometer does not work. The rpms work, most indicator lights, and even the MFA works on the mk2 stock. I dont know how this car was wired up but I was confused to see the mk2 mfa stalk work and give readings on such things as oil temperature. So when I pulled out the mk2 cluster I immediately noticed that the plug connectors were bigger and different and could not plug into the mk3 cluster I bought. So I need help in figuring this mess out and I have done research all over the internet on this stuff and alot of it is scattered and half completed information. I cant find any proper diys with pictures explaining what needs to be done. I have included some pictures to show you guys my fusebox panels, and wiring harness. From what I can see, I think what they did was splice the mk2 cluster harness into a vr6 harness to make the mk2 cluster work. So from what you see, do i have a ce1 or ce2. What do i need to do? Thanks guys

Cluster plug connectors

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Fuse panel boxes

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

2. rubjonny

rubjonny Administrator Staff Member Admin

your car is neither ce1 or ce2 unfortunately, you have the US spec fusebox which is unique to yank built golfs. fun fun fun!

i dont have any info on converting from your fusebox but this has info on the early American fusebox:
    http://www.a2resource.com/electrical/electrical.html

3. Hrvat_vr6 New Member

How is this possible that it can't be a ce1 or ce2? Everywhere I read people are saying that I have a ce1 system. It looks like the ce1 relays. Is it possible that they consider us spec ones another name...digifant 1 possibly?

4. rubjonny

because the Americans used their own fusebox, ce1 is European spec. pre-90 german made cars will have ce1 (i.e. jetta in the us) and maybe some later american pre-90 golf im not 100% how long the american specific fusebox was used for.

so unfortunately what you have is neither ce1 or ce2. if you look in the link i pasted above it covers the american fusebox as well as ce1 and ce2, you can see the differences. the most obvious one is that the american fusebox has the fuses on a seperate carrier, and CE1/2 have the fuses attached to the bottom of the fusebox

digifant 1 is an ecu, not a fusebox ;)

edit: the clocks themselves may be the same pinout as ce1 though? the plugs dont look right to me but that might just be the angle of the picture

Last edited: Mar 11, 2013
  5. Hrvat_vr6 New Member

Thanks rubjonny, that was very informative as I never knew this. Over here in North America, people refer to them as ce1 and ce2 when they are discussing it on forums. That's why I thought it was ce1. So if the us spec golfs are not ce1, then what are they called? When you said the clock themselves maybe the same pinout as ce1 but they don't look right to you, is it possible to splice in mk3 plug connectors to my existing harness to connect to mk3 cluster and it will all work? So basically swap out the plugs in the picture to mk3 ones? My bad about the digifant Ecu [:s]

6. rubjonny

I dont know of any specific name for the american fusebox, CE1/2 is a VW designation meaning Central Electrics. I guess it was called that as it was an attempt to get all the relays and fuseboxes into 1 fusebox?

you'll have to do wire splicing no matter what, the mk3 wiring is completely different so it wont plug in. If your clocks use the same plugs as a normal mk2 ce1 cluster than any threads you find about converting ce1 to mk3 clocks will help you. personally i would convert the whole car to CE2, use mostly mk2 golf 90spec looms except for the clock and engine looms which you'll be using from the mk3.

if you have the entire mk3 available you can use the mk3 looms with slight tweaks here n there, mostly in the dash area if you plan on keeping the mk2 dash but with mk3 clocks in it? mostly the wire colours/pins are the same for the switches so its not so bad a job (unlike clock splicing, since vw were really helpful and made all the wire colours white to the clocks!!)

7. Hrvat_vr6 New Member

it seems like I have read every article out there on this conversion and not one explains anything on how to splice a mk3 cluster to work with a ce1 setup without using any ce2 components. From what I read, the only options I have is to change to ce2 completely or piggy back a ce2 fusebox from a ce1 with 5 wires. My plugs right now plug into a ce1 clock and definitely not into mk3 clock. Do you know a way too splice the mk3 clock into my existing ce1

8. Hrvat_vr6 New Member

Hey rubjonny, I just came across an old thread that describes your pretty much a master at making mk3 clocks working with ce1 fusebox.

This is what someone wrote about u

"ive just done this conversion and my golf has ce1 electrics. i paid a guy called rubjonny on the clubgti forum 60. posted my ce1 engine loom and my vr6 loom to him, 2 weeks later i recieved 1 mated loom, plugged it in to the original fusebox connected everything up engine side turned the key and hey presto! car runs and is spot on. much easier than changing to ce2 or piggybacking!

You can't do ths for me. I really want to make the mk3 clock work in my car

9. rubjonny

yeah really, i would convert te car to ce2. this will make the vr6 conversion much easier too as it'll plug right in. the trouble with the american fusebox is there isnt so much info out there, I've never played with one so i dont know how well it woudl work if you tried to splice it :(

if you want me to do any loom work you'll have to wait till october at the earliest as im a very busy man!

10. Hrvat_vr6 New Member

Thanks rubjonny for all your help. If i don't get it working by then, I guess we can discuss those options in October. I guess I will just keep snooping around the net and see what pops up. I think at the end of day, if I can't get it then I will convert the whole thing over to ce2

11. shaz8389

shaz8389 Forum Junkie

USA Fusebox uses some weird General Motors stuff iirc. Normally in Westmoreland cars this happens, Mexican built cars could use either Euro Central Electric or random ones are USA/GM style spec.

I'd convert the car to CE2 or you'll forever have these weird issues, post up on VWVortex about it, haven't been there for a long time so I can't tell you who to talk to, Mr Knappy was some form of Guru when I used to post there.

12. Hrvat_vr6 New Member

That's why I hate the situation I'm in...complications. Really sucks the guys who did my swap spliced into ce1 or whatever American spec fusebox you think it is. Too lazy to convert everything to ce2. Makes matters worse, I think I saw somewhere on my car that it was manufactured in the USA and not Mexico. Looks like I gotta rip everything out and put all ce2 wiring and boxes

13. Toyotec

Toyotec CGTI Committee - Happy helper at large Admin

Golf and GTI 1985-1989 US production had a separate fuse and relay panels yes.

The current flow diagrams are available in Volkswagen GTI, Golf, Jetta Service manual from Bentley Publishers.

There are also differences in 'A3' clusters depending on the supplier VDO or Motormeter. I did a few of these and have to find my notes to state what pins do what and how they would transpose to your relay panel.

If in Toronto, I know a man in Brampton who could be of help.

14. Hrvat_vr6 New Member

Sure that would be great if you can refer this man to me to help me out. Brampton is 15 minuets from me

15. rubjonny

ah so the vr6 is already wired to the fusebox, i thought you were just starting the swap! in that case I believe all you need is a ce1 -> ce2 cluster wiring diagram since i think your cluster plugs will be the same as ce1 cluster? can you take a more side on picture as straight on i cant tell if they're the same as ce1 or not

16. Hrvat_vr6 New Member

Yep that's right. The swap was done a while ago and yes the vr6 engine loom is already wired in the fusebox. I found some stuff about wiring in the mk3 cluster to work with ce1. The cluster plugs are ce1 for sure but I will take another picture. I know they are ce1 because the cluster I have working now is a ce1 cluster and the plugs plug into it. From what I been reading, I have to follow a wiring diagram to wire the mk3 cluster to ce1. First plan of attack is getting a mk3/ce2 cluster harness. Then I have to dabble around with the speed sensor to get the speed working

17. rubjonny

ok cool yeah any info you can find for ce1 cluster to mk3 will be valid for your car :)

you'll need to tap into the indicator wiring for the mk3 cluster but thats easy look for the black/green and black/white wires to your indicator stalk pins L and R. you need a speed sender wire from engine bay, this would be in the vr6 loom as standard but its a case of did they leave it in or not? its a blue/white wire and would have gone to G1/11 originally. you will also need the rev counter signal from the ecu, again this woudl have been in the loom but is it still? it comes from ecu pin 22 to g1/12, it will be green/black or green/white. oh and if you want the mfa to work you'll need the purple/white mpg signal wire from ecu pin 51.

fingers crossed the unused wires were all taped up behind the fusebox for easy access :)

18. Hrvat_vr6 New Member

Yep lets hope they are taped off and tuck away by the fuse box. Haven't got down and dirty yet to look out for those things. So the wire from the speed sensor and the wire from the ecu that controls the rev rpms, where do they splice into once inside the interior compartment? On the back of the cluster or the fusebox?

19. rubjonny

the wire from the speed sender in the fusebox will go direct to cluster, since there is no fusebox pin for it. same with the rev counter wire! you might want to add a connector for these wires so you can easily separate the looms in future?

20. Hrvat_vr6 New Member

From what i see I'm not sure if I have a speed sensor or what from the tranny. The transmission has this thick white cable looking thing that comes up and through the fire wall and possibly into the cluster. I'm hoping this is not the mechanical speedo cable that I read about on threads. I have to take a pic of it. How do I find the wire for the speed sensor in the fusebox? I thought the wire was from the transmission