Instrument Cluster Wiring and diagram

Discussion in 'Track Prep & Tech' started by seph90, Oct 25, 2023.

1. seph90 New Member

Hello everyone;

I own a 1984 Golf 2 carburetor 2E2 with GU engine I had to change my instrument cluster so I have bought a different one which has the (MFA) functions I did some research and I figured out the connectors (white and black) and replaced the stalk arm wiper side the one that works with the new instrument cluster that has the MFA reset and changing display.
    I'm just confuse how do I connect the outside (ambient) temperature sensor wiring and how do I connect the vacuum which theoretically indicate the fuel consumption with my 2E2 carburetor? I have a CE1 Fuse box
    Any help would be greatly appreciated and thank you everyone. Hope you're all having a great day.

Last edited: Oct 25, 2023
  2. rubjonny

rubjonny Administrator Staff Member Admin

you'll have to add the missing pins to your cluster plugs for outside temp, oil temp and mfa stalk. pipe the vacuum connection on the cluster to one of the nipples on the brake servo hose same as standard GTI and the mpg will be reasonably accurate

see my fusebox faq for cluster pinout (under CE1 pinout section)
    https://clubgti.com/forums/index.php?threads/fusebox-faq.219775/

seph90 likes this.
  3. seph90 New Member

Thank your for your information i really appreciate it I did add the missing points on both cluster plugs what confuses me is the ambiant temp sensor how do I wire it. I will post soon on this same thread exactly what I did.

4. rubjonny

one pin of outside temp goes to the cluster plug, the other one just needs to be earthed.

so from the factory you have a 2 pin plug with a white/red and green/black wire (outside temp and oil temp) and a 1 pin plug with brown/white which is earth for the cluster and mfa stalk.

these hang off the cluster harness near fusebox, then matching plugs in engine loom plug in. the 2 pin plug is wired straight to the sensors in question, the 1 pin also has the earth for the outside temp sensor crimped into it and this goes to the cylinder head

your non-gti cluster loom will have the cluster earthed into the main dash wiring earth point so no need to worry about that, just earth the stalk to the claw and earth your outside temp sensor wherever is convenient. the battery is right there for example ;)

5. seph90 New Member

@rubjonny
    This is what i did:
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    This is the intake vacuum hose
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    And one of them goes to the distributor vacuum advance unit
    [​IMG]
    Correct me if somethings is wrong.
    I used the same coolant temp sensor on the top of the oil filter I removed bolt with allen key and placed the new sensor.
    I had to add wires too, do i have to wire them also to the fuse box I have a CE1 type or just directly to the cluster pins?

6. rubjonny

wiring looks good, just to add T7/4 2nd pin for outside temp sensor is only for early cars, on the later wiring diagrams T7/4 isn't shown so I cant say if its active or not.

either way you only need 1 pin for the outside temp to dash, the 2nd pin can just be earthed (T7/4 on early cluster is linked internally to earth pin T7b/5)

heres a diagram
    Clipboard01.jpg

for vacuum, I see theres a blanked off nipple on the vacuum connector on the brake servo pipe, just use that for MFA job done :)

seph90 likes this.
  7. seph90 New Member

Thank you so much @rubjonny
    For some reasons I can't view the full picture you just posted it says that I don't have permission.

8. rubjonny

Might be too big, I'll resize when I'm next on a pc

9. rubjonny

Try again now actually, I just promoted you to full forum user (normally need 10 posts before it does it automatically)

seph90 likes this.
  10. seph90 New Member

I can see it now, thank you so much for your assistance. :)

11. seph90 New Member

@rubjonny
    Another question please which oil temp sender i should use [​IMG]

The probe with the black ring has a value of 2 mΩ in an environment of 25℃.

The probe with the white ring has a value of 0.855 kΩ in the same environment.

The probe with the blue ring has a value of 2.56 kΩ at the same environment.

12. rubjonny

the oil temp sensor you need is 049919563A:
    50°c - 345 ohm
    60°c - 225 ohm
    80°c - 122 ohm
    90°c - 90 ohm
    100°c - 67 ohm
    130°c - 30 ohm

the original has a white ring and the one with a white ring seems to be the one you want if its 800ohm around 25 degrees?

13. seph90 New Member

@rubjonny it should work between 0 and 180 degrees
    Just one last thing please I found some relays hanging with their connectors but the wires are cut could you give me a diagram please?
    [​IMG] this one should be over run relay
    [​IMG] this is the coolant temp control relay number 41
    [​IMG] and this valve deceleration relay
    I have read every details multiple times in your Fusebox FAQ about CE1 I couldn't find anything a diagram would help me a lot to connect them back
    [​IMG] fuse slot number 7 this one works for me as warning buzzer after i turn the ignition off with the lights on I have a 292 relay plugged in.

Thanks again

14. rubjonny

the white oil sensor is rated for 0-150, that resistance chart is all I've managed to find after years of exhaustive searches in various bentley manuals and more recently VW MK2 Golf fault finding documents so you're lucky to have that much :lol:

I think these are what you need:
    fanafter-run.jpg overrun.jpg radfan.jpg

15. seph90 New Member

Thank you so much @rubjonny that was very helpful. I have the thermoswitch for the radiator fan connected directly from the fuse box +30 and then a red wire straight to to the motor it only works on 2nd speed I think. No resistor or a third wire. I shall look further into the diagrams you posted.

16. rubjonny

the resistor is usually inside the fan, and if its a 2 speed the fan will have a 3 pin plug on it. maybe a single speed fan was wired in?

17. seph90 New Member

Exactly there are 3 pins but only two wires are connected to the thermoswitch.

18. daNpy Forum Member

This is exactly like how it is on mine.

seph90 likes this.
  19. seph90 New Member

It's from the factory even though some models has a relay for the thermoswitch.

20. rubjonny

you only have a relay for the 3rd speed for the more heavy duty fans, plus a/c. for standard models both speeds are fed direct from the thermoswitch