Insurance for 18 year old on MK 2 Golf

Discussion in 'Insurance chat' started by dixon, Sep 27, 2011.

1. dixon New Member

Im 18 and have just started learning to drive, when I pass I want a MK2 1.8 GTI Golf and was considering getting it fairly soon.

Can anyone recommend any good insurers that would quote me about 1500 a year? I would be able to pay annually as well if that would make it cheaper? Most insurers wont insure me for an engine this size after just having passed my test. I was hoping some of you guys would know where to look.

Thanks Alex. :)

2. phil21191 Forum Member

Your dreaming if you want to pay 1500 or less.

My 1.3 cost me 1272 to insure at 19 with Footman James on a classic policy limited to 4500 miles. I'd also held my license 4 months before insuring the car as well.

This was back in feb Btw and insurance has risen since.

3. Alpenweiss2 Forum Member

If you want my advice, do yourself a favour and 'learn to drive' first in a low powered car, something like a 1 litre or less. There is no point in getting straight into a Mk2 Gti. 112 BHP might not sound much, but these are light cars by today's standards so have a decent power to weight ratio.

What I mean by 'learn to drive', is by spending a few years driving slow underpowered cars and gaining experience in real life driving. This will serve you well and cost you loads less in insurance (money you can save towards a nice Gti).

Alpenweiss2 :)

4. dave990 Forum Member

that is good advice and spot on you need to get some no claims bonus on your side first
    so buy some thing you don't mine to take a bit of a hit and start off third party F&T

we all had to start from the bottom and work up ;)

5. phil21191 Forum Member

I'll also add the mk2s have no weight over the rear wheels so the back end is very loose, especially in wet/greasy conditions.

I very nearly span mine on a roundabout about 3 weeks after insuring it, i turned it way too hard the front gripped hard due to having 2 new repectable brand tyres while the rear had the cheap POS the previous owner could find. By some miracle I just managed to correct it and stop the car spinning.

Ive also had similar moments at very low speed while being sensible.

With double the power your going to find yourself in a mess really quickly.

6. dixon New Member

Thanks for the advice guys, do you think it would be any better getting a 1.3 MK 2 ? Or just leaving it a couple of years ?

7. Tall Paul Forum Member

The advantage of owning a MK2 (amongst other older cars) is the ability to do pretty much all the mechanical work yourself, if you choose, because they are so simple. So buying a 1.3 (which incidentaly was my first car) will keep your running costs down and set you up for owning its big brother later.

I loved my 1.3, never let me down, was fun to drive, great build quality (of course) and will be a bit different to a Saxo etc. Take the hit on performance now by buying something cheaper, get to know motoring, keep out of ditches and then appreciate the GTI more.

8. jak58 New Member

The MK2 is really amazing bike and it really advantage of owing it. I agree with you Tall Paul..it's very simple to do mechanical work to do by yourself. :)

9. Mk3Tom

Mk3Tom New Member

The first car i bought myself at 17 was a Volvo 740 GLE, 2.3l and 115hp in a car weighing roughly the same as the QE2 [:D]

I was paying 1500 as a named driver back then (3 Years ago), it was horrifically slow, looked awful and was a complete shed, but i loved it! [:D]

I got my GTI after about 4 months of driving (Volvo died :( ), and was paying 2600 a year as the main driver. I never really had an issue with the extra speed and i've never come close to ditching it yet (there's still time:p), so it's not a fact that if you get an GTI when you're young that you'll bin it, but i agree with what people are saying, go for something slower first and get used to driving! As my old man has always said, passing your driving test just means that you've achieved the bare-minimum requirements to drive on the road, it doesn't mean you're a good driver yet :thumbup:

Personally i think everyone who's just passed their test should be forced to get a Volvo, mine was amazing [:D]

Tom

10. kieranwebb Forum Member

At 19 i ensured my mk2 gti it was 1500 with 2 years ncb so good luck for an 18 year old who doesnt drive yet, go for the one the 1.3 as people have said there easy to work on and will be a great base car for when you pass! also i found fully comp to be cheaper that 3rd party fire and theft.

11. dave990 Forum Member

dixon play about with quotes at confused.com or some thing to get a idea ;) if your going to work on it your self sure go with the Mk 2 easy to work on and easy to get parts
    i have had all sorts of cars over the years but always come back to the Mk2 would love to have a ford mk1 avo mexico again but the cost today [:^(]

12. CovGTi Forum Member

I'm 24 and pay £1800

13. Gaz37 The Grouch. Paid Member

As a guide my daughter (17) is paying 1385 fully comp on a 1.2 Punto (W reg), TPF&T for some reason is no cheaper.

My guess is you'll be looking at 2k+ for a GTI.

Insurance for young drivers is a shocking price whatever car you drive, I also can't help thinking that a GTI might be a bit of a handful as a first car, although mk2s aren't that quick by today's standards they are plenty quick enough to get you into trouble.

My daughter got her insurance through Diamond & they were about a grand cheaper than other insurers but I have a suspision that they are one of these female drivers only insurers.

Whatever you end up driving do your best not to prang it, a NCD is worth big money at your age, 10% of my 300 premium is not worth getting upset about but 10% of 2k certainly is

14. shaz8389

shaz8389 Forum Junkie

Can't really use anyone as a guide price, the amount of factors in quoting is insane. Remember once reading the load/discount part of a quote when I was working in insurance, was a good page and a half long.

Postcode is a huge factor, they factor weird things like your name and other nonsense too.

A mk2 GTi is an easy car to drive anyway, never found one a handful by any means, started in a 1.6 Golf when I was 18, was average (quicker than the rubbish my mate's had anyway) and got a GTi not long after. It's a pretty forgiving car to drive in standard form though.

15. Gaz37 The Grouch. Paid Member

Yeah, sorry handful wasn't the right term to use.

I meant that they're not slow cars & lack niceties of modern cars like ABS, traction control etc, probably no easier to crash than a 1.2 Clio but lickly to be going a fair bit quicker when they do let go.

The postcode factor is amazing, whilst mucking about on DirectLine's website I changed my postcode for a more rural one & the premium dropped by about 50%

16. Mike_H Forum Addict

Learning to get the best out of an underpowered car is a good way to learn to drive properly... planning ahead and trying to maintain speed where you can do it safely, as well as planning your overtaking (being in the right gear, coming up behind the car you're trying to overtake, as you come to the overtaking spot).

I'd say buy a 1.1 or 1.3 Mk2 golf, or even an old Mk2/3 polo. They should be quick enough to learn some road craft in, economical to run, and simple to work on. They're also old enough that you might be able to get classic insurance on them, although your age might prevent this. Non GTI golf mk2s tend to have had an easier life than GTIs as well.

Once you get more experienced and stack up some no claims discount, you can either buy something quicker. or do a conversion in your car, if you're feeling brave.