Insurance. Good for once.

Discussion in 'Insurance chat' started by Wombar, Apr 19, 2004.

1. Wombar Forum Member

Well my insurance is up at the end of this week and I thought I was gonna get the shaft again, but for once it's not "too" bad.

I got a quote of 560 from elephant fully comp with protected NCB. I'm 23 with 6yrs NCB and its a Golf MK3 8V GTI in case anyone's interested.

It turns out that just by putting my Mum on there, it dropped the price by 120 which was a result. Perhaps still a little high but it's acceptable and from a decent company.

Before anyone says try HIC there's no way, my bro was with them and they were crap when it came to the service they provide. In the 12 months he had his policy they sent out 8 monthly cover notes instead of the proper certificate. Also tried LivVic and Brentacre, all well over a grand so no thank you very much.

The funny thing is Endsleigh rang me the other day and gave me the "we're a proper company that you can come in and talk to" speel, errm no I don't think I'll pay and extra 500 just so I can come in and look at your ugly mugs.

2. AndrewF Forum Addict

er...i hate to tell you that i just payed 590 (was 520 before i payed monthly [8(] ) on my mkIII vr6 with elephant, i'm also 23, but only have 5 yrs NCD. i also did the mum...and older bro...trick!

3. C14RKY Forum Member

Good to hear!

I've just turned 24, have 6 years ncb and my insurance is up for renewall in june!

I'll keep elephant in mind!

only prob is I have 6 points! (2 sp30's, fatherless childs caught me at about 2-3 in the morning both times, once in the fog!) How that is for road safety beats me! [8(] )

Fingers x'ssed!

P.S> haha, check the replacement for my ill considered swear word!
    Edited by: C14RKY

4. Tubthumped Forum Junkie

Damn -- 20, 0 NCB, all mods declared (mk2 2.0 16v, coilovers, brakes, buckets roll cage - not in yet) + track day cover + stereo cover + windscreen + breakdown = 748.

5. Wombar Forum Member

I suspect that you caught the premiums at the right time and probably live in low crime area acf8181.

I seem to recall that I did a quote on a VR6 a month or two ago and they wanted 800 from elephant so I guess that it's a case of catching them at the right time. I did the same quote three times today and the price fluctuated 50. I've not actually bought the policy so I might leave it a couple days to see if the price comes down any more.
    Edited by: Wombar

6. TIM

Tim Forum Addict

thats well good tub, AND you live in stoke!

tim ;) :lol: :clap:

7. Tubthumped Forum Junkie

I don't live in Stoke!

I live in Newcastle, and to be more specific Porthill... which is the lowest rated crime zone you can get!

8. TIM

Tim Forum Addict

oh ok, fair doos,

funny how you got offended cos i thought you lived in stoke! lol :clap:

tim

9. Golfgirl Forum Member

Elephant were the cheapest for me too, and I also did the older drivers on the policy trick ;)

10. superden Forum Addict

26, 6 years NCB, mods declared (suspension, alloys, ICE) and I have track day cover, stereo cover, windscreen replacement, other car cover and legal cover.

178 [:D]
    Edited by: superden

11. Wombar Forum Member

who's that with superden?

12. Dubya Forum Junkie

Christ. Having read the above I ran a quote through elephant for 1990 MkII 16v, 21yr old male 3yrs NCD living in the centre of Coventry. Quote came back at 1460.

Added my Mum and Dad as named drivers and it dropped the quote to 1060. 400 saving. Cheers for letting me in on that one people! [:D]

13. superden Forum Addict

HIC [:D]

14. AndrewF Forum Addict

well, if my area is low crime, i'd hate to live where you guys are (all but one friend has had a car thieved/broken into/damaged - and two outside my house!)

15. VR6Will Forum Member

well had to do mine 2day, you guys seem to be getting well cheap, mine was 590 with HIC, covers me for track use, driving other cars 3rd party and agreed valuation, im only 22 with 4yrs no claims apparently HIC drop loads when your 25!

16. VR6Will Forum Member

that was with all mods aswell, myslef and acf do live in a HIGH rate area!

17. Wombar Forum Member

That's the problem, I know that HIC would probably be a great quote for me coz I don't live in a particularly high crime area but all the stories I've heard about HIC have been bad.

I've heard that people who have had to claim through HIC have had problems, I know that insurance companies are as tight as a ducks butt but apparent HIC are impossible to contact if you need them. This is of course just what I've heard others may praise them to no end but personal experience through my brother has soured me on them.

560 is fine for me, it's not great but it's okay.

The funniest one I heard was Church hill, they said that they wouldn't insure me until I was 30 on an 8V!!!!!!!!!!![:D] How funny is that? I just couldn't have a better driving record and they still want to shaft me. Knobheads!
    Edited by: Wombar

18. S700SSY Forum Member

ELEPHANT are magic.

I just paid 358 Fully comp for my 1992 3dr Gti 8v.

I have no no claims (the wife has about 10 years though), 32, married with one dependant.

I had to phone them up to see if the online quote was for real as the cheapest I'd had elsewhere was about 800.

Top service from them too. I was going to see the car at 8pm on the WEDS and the agent said he would call me whilst I was there to see if I wanted to take the policy out.

Sure enough - he called about 8.15 as arranged and I took the deal - SUPERB [:D]

19. Bat. Forum Member

I love Elephant too!

Age 22 5 years NCB 89 Mk2 8v GTI, fully comp with protected NCB, wife named. 312!!

20. 1990

1990 Paid Member Paid Member

f**kin el!! Flux only gave me 15 back when i swaped from the vr to the 8v [:x]

Time to go to elephant for a quote for next time!!