Insurance on a modified 1.8 mk2 golf

Discussion in 'Insurance chat' started by philwept_33, Dec 26, 2004.

1. Deako Paid Member Paid Member

You are obviously driving the car with those mods and invalidated insurance??? Very clever.

Do yourself a favour, lock away the keys till you can afford to insure it legally. Or return it all back to standard so i dont have to pay through the nose on my policy next year for more uninsured losses!!

2. TIM

Tim Forum Addict

in not sure that he has it on the road yet,

tim

3. martyn_16v Forum Junkie

Can't get tax without insurance, and they're getting good at turning untaxed vehicles into coffee tables these days:lol:

TBH at your age in that car getting pulled over is going to be a weekly occurence. If you're not legit you've got about as much chance as if you'd walked into the station and said you'd f*cked the DC's mother. You could try for third party only insurance (not tpft), but companies offering it are getting few and far between.

4. stella

stella Forum Junkie

I can't see the logic in spending all that money on mods (they can't have been cheap) when he must know the insurance is going to be astronomical and he probably won't be able to drive it (at least, for a long time) when he's finished building it.

5. Rahul Forum Junkie

what a peanarse

6. Jolfa

Jolfa Forum Junkie

not me..

..oh wait..

..yes me, i destroyed 3

anyway, you dont stand a chance of insuring that, only company i could recomend are elephant.co.uk but they only give you half decent quotes if you've been driving 1 year+

thats how i was driving my gti 16v at 18 (at the time) for 1300, may have elabortaed on the truth ever so slightly, mods not declared, but you wouldnt really spot them unless you knew vw's

fancy spending all that money on that! you silly billy

do what i did, go find yourself a 100 fiesta to arse about in

and that coment about hitting a nova.. you ass, doesnt really matter what you hit, if you're uninsured you'll get f*cked for it

i know how you feel, you dont want to wait.. but we've all had to!
    Edited by: Jolfa

7. chrismc Forum Junkie

Dear oh Dear!!! [:^(]

You & your mother obviously have no comprehension of the situation. At 17, Surely a nice Polo would have been ideal for a couple of years...then approach HIC after getting your no-claims built up...

If you drive the car as it looks, & no doubt sounds, you will get stopped by the Old Bill in no time at all..bye bye mk2 driver!!

In hindsight it would have been better to buy a sensible car for 2 years, then go out & buy a decent Valver.....far more economically viable, faster, less thirsty, less of a cop magnet & without the silly premium! ;)

8. Threeeightsix Forum Member

Blatantly get a sh!tty car!!

I drove loadsa cr@p cars around till I was 20 last year and had some noclaims.. then got a cr@ppy Mk2 8v.. Cr@p cars are the best!!!

Drive a Modified Mk1 now I can get realistic insurance (500), and love it to bits..

But do WELL miss my old sheds! Nothing better than to getting into an old gem, brushing the macdonalds rubbish out of the footwell, pulling off in a cloud of black smoke, ariving in style, over grass, onto kerbs, going for lil rallys in fields, handbrake action everywhere without caring if u crash, driving into / over things, never having to wash the car, shutting your door without having to lock it, and not even noticing if anything has fallen / rusted off!!!

9. Threeeightsix Forum Member

AND......

I work for an insurance company, and if you're a named driver and they see the car as it is.. You probably wont get a penny back. Even if everything is declared. As you'd probably have to prove that your mum is infact the MAIN driver of the car.. Which obviously seems dubious with the car looking / performing like it does!!!

10. philwept_33 Forum Member

Thanks for laying into me everyone! LOL!
    No i have not been driving the car since the mods have been done and its still in the garage getting it running and set up at the moment anyway.
    Obviously the number plates wont be the same, as they were just around the corner from a show we went to. And i changed them half way there!

Obviosuly im not going to drive without insurance, Im 18 in Feb.
    Just to fill a few of the gaps in here

11. N1CK Forum Junkie

I havent had a crash yetand i'll be 20 in march, ive
    had a subaru impreza turbo, golf mk3 1.4cl [xx(] and
    a 175bhp mgf . my current car being my mk2 gti.
    However i did learn to drive from the age of 9 on
    private land including a tarmacd railway line, even
    tho ive still had some near misses especially in the
    mgf as it was immensly quick and rear wheel drive, i
    can see where the older more experienced drivers
    are comming from with their remarks and having a
    smaller powered car can be just as fun when new to
    driving and ultimatly more forgiving. personally id
    garage the driver by a crappy polo and drive that for a
    while that way if you do stack it you still have your
    pride and joy safe in the garage ;)

12. philwept_33 Forum Member

good point n1ck!!!

13. Threeeightsix Forum Member

Did I come across harsh?!!!

Sorry!!

(good on ya for sorting yaself out with a DON car straight off and not some rrrrrudeboy corsa!!!)

14. Finallygotmygti Forum Member

OK, the whole no insurance thing is obviously a bad idea, but you kinda realised that. Go for the cheap shed for a while and start building up your own no claims for a bit, rather than named driver on your mum's insurance...

Is there anything stopping you from taking the car out for track use though. If there's any tracks near you and you can find a company that will insure you solely for track use, can't you just trailer it there and back? Seems a shame to garage a car like that for so long when all you're gonna want to do is take it out and cane it? Is this possible? No insurance guru and don't know the rules about track days, but maybe u can sort something out...?

15. philwept_33 Forum Member

Good idea "finalygotmygti"
    I could pimp it up with watever i want to do as a track car.
    put some silly performance bits in and have a shed polo and that way i can have the best of both worlds?

16. ManicGTI Forum Member

If you cant afford insurance you certainly can't afford to use a track car regularly....tyres brakes petrol entry etc Again, if you can afford to buy 'silly performance bits' you surely can afford insurance?

17. Finallygotmygti Forum Member

Is it a question of affording insurance then, or a question of being able to find somebody to insure you? Or is it more that you can't justify spending 3+ grand on insurance for 1 year?

18. N1CK Forum Junkie

Id rather drive a lawnmower powerd smart car in
    bright yellow with black viper stripes pink furry die
    and wear a matching pvc leotard than pay out that
    much in insurance for any car [:|]

19. Finallygotmygti Forum Member

LOL! I know somebody who paid 5000 for a years insurance on a MG ZR160! I'm not sure whether he got the first year free though, but i'm sure he got a quote for that year for 5000... from about the only company who would dare touch him...

20. AndrewF Forum Addict

most i've ever known to be paid is 3700 for a limited milegae policy...was a honda nsx though. his renewal quote went down to 800!!!