Insurance Policies...

Discussion in 'Insurance chat' started by Dietrich, Aug 17, 2004.

1. Dietrich Forum Member

Is it possible to change your insurance policy if you pay for it up front?

I mean, I paid for my insurance in one lump sum but if I wanted to get a new car would they let me change my existing policy over to that car, adjusting the price accordingly?

If this is the case, would they use my current details or the details submitted at the start of the policy to calculate the costs of the new policy?

The reason I ask is that next month I'll become a slightly lower-risk driver, so I'm thinking about a new car.

Tom

2. JonnyGTi Forum Member

Guess that depends who you're with. Most insurance companies will give you a refund I'd imagine although they'll charge you an 'admin' fee, whatever the feck that is.

3. Dietrich Forum Member

Elephant.co.uk

Hmm, it might be worth looking into next month then. :)

Tom

4. wolfsburg85 Forum Member

i'm pretty sure you can tansfer the policy to another car mid-term, but obviously you will have to pay the difference.

not sure on the personal details though.

HTH

5. Dietrich Forum Member

Yeah I'm aware of paying the difference (I know a guy who went from a 306 to a 3 Series and he paid a bit more) but what about if the new car costs less to insure (which it should given the change in circumstances - I'll be 19 with a licence for a year rather than 18 with a licence for 0 years)?

Just wondering if anybody's done it that way round. :thumbup:

Tom

6. Rahul Forum Junkie

yep, thats right. Elephant are pretty good. You can just change your car and they just make you pay the difference of the equivalent policy amount, for the remainder of your policy duration. They also insure your old car til you sell it which is mint as feck!

7. Dietrich Forum Member

Is your new car costing less to insure than the old one then, Rags?

Did they give you some money back if so?

Tom

8. greel Forum Member

When I went from my Metro GTI to my 1.4 Golf I got a refund of the difference. This was with Tesco.

9. Dietrich Forum Member

Amazing, exactly what I wanted to hear, greel.

Thanks very much. :thumbup:

Tom

10. Rahul Forum Junkie

mines going up.

11. Dietrich Forum Member

Well it looks like as of next month Elephant will insure me on a MK2 GTI 8v for 1400 for 10 months, opposed to 2200 for 10 months for my MK3 GTI 8v.

I'm not sure how much of that I'd get back, but I've only had about 2-3 months on the MK3 so it'd have to be a fair bit.

I can't get an online quote for a MK1 GTI (which is a fatherless child because there's the nicest one ever on eBay at the minute with the bonnet scoop and white rims).

So tempting...

Tom

12. MrBen Forum Junkie

Ask them, don't go presuming from the online quote that you are going to get money back. You may, you may not!

13. Dietrich Forum Member

Cheers MrBen... I ain't getting my hopes up yet (largely because I can't make my mind up) and on the site it clearly says "if you have a policy with us call this number". My girlfriend works in insurance and she says I won't get the difference back, but should get a portion of it if they're like most other insurers, which they appear to be. Obviously before advertising my car etc. I'll give them a call. ;)

It's all speculation at the minute. I've found the perfect MK1 on eBay (bonnet vent and white alloys) which I just can't afford right now.

If it was all to work out, I'd be looking to buy in about 5 week's time. :)

Tom

14. edc1 Forum Member

Or, if they won't insure you on the new car then you get a full pro-rata rebate with no penalty.

15. TheSecondComing Forum Addict

Yup, elephant will give you a refund for the difference, minus their 14.50 admin fee for changing cars, which I pay about a billion times a year.....