insurance question...again!

Discussion in 'Insurance chat' started by bigpoppa81, Jul 4, 2004.

1. bigpoppa81 Forum Member

i cant believe it!

i have been trying to get cover on a 1990 gti 16v but all the insurance companies are taking the wee!

ive even tried under my fathers and me be the secondary driver and the best i can get is 700+
    hes 54 and im 23! and we have both been driving over 3 years!

does it make a difference insuring it for 1000 or 1500? its just im doing the car up to make it road worthy at the mo so i dunno how much it will be worth when its finished.

also what companies wont hammer me if i just put a pair of 17's and lower it? nothing else no engine mods or nothing? ive just tried directline tesco church hill ect but im worried about trying someone like adrian flux cos i aint doing it up that much

help!

2. S1MMA Forum Member

how much are you expecting to pay on a mk2 16v? I have a mk3 8v with a SS exhaust, and paid 800 with 1 year no claims last year. This year I have a claim disputed, so got zero no claims bonus and paid 960ish. I'm with admiral, and they reduced my premium by aboout 20% for putting my dad as a named driver. They dont really like mods though.

Different companies will have different ways of calculating premiums, as the actuaries put different loads on the area's which affect our insurance. How many years no claims do you have? I dont think valuing the car for 1000-1500 is going to make much difference, unless you have a agreed value policy, which makes your car definately worth x if it gets written off, which will cost more money if its above the market rate. Try putting up the excess a little more and see if you can get near the acceptable limit that way, and dont crash!

Admiral will match any quote you get from elephant.co.uk, so go on there and play around with the quote engine for a few hours till you get a good quote, then get admiral to match it. Try putting milage to 8000, putting only 1 named driver (your dad), and try putting the voluntary excess to 250 and see how it comes out.

S1MMA :)

3. Dietrich Forum Member

I couldn't get insured as a 'named driver' by anybody on my GTI.

They're wising up to it as a method to getting cheaper insurance. :thumbd:

Tom

4. Deako Paid Member Paid Member

Have you tried HIC, Greenlight and Adrian Flux?

Im 23, have 4 years NCB, and my car is modded but i still pay about 900 Fully Comp.

Mk2 16v Golfs are very expensive to insure.