Insurance Tips.

Discussion in 'Insurance chat' started by VeeDubbed.co.uk, Aug 5, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. VeeDubbed.co.uk Forum Member

Just wondering if anyone has some advice about how to go about getting insurance on a highly modified car.

Basically the The MK1 Project im doing started out as a 1.0 Golf C Formel E

But now it has most of the gubbins from a MK1 GTI.
    with MK2 Digifant Engine.

When im finished I plan on upgrading prettymuch everything brakes, suspension and a 16vt Engine.

But i know when i phone up my insurance company and say it has a 200% BHP Increase they are going to hang up on me.

i also am thinking about a 16v Engine in my driver around january. but I dont know if I will get insured on it what is the best way to go about insuring these cars that used to be small engined then increased to GTI spec and then some more ?

I know really i should be starting off with a GTI as my base model but the shells i have are good condition and i have spent too much money on the driver id loose it ifi sold it.

2. LiamG Forum Member

just re-sure it as a gti ?

3. darrynK

darrynK Forum Addict

put a female on as 2nd driver on your policy. i put my gf on as 2nd driver and it brought insurance down over 300 [:D]

4. Trev16v

Trev16v Paid Member Paid Member

Really?!

5. WEEDUBDUDE Forum Member

if it`s a mk1 then surely u could go down the classic route !!

6. darrynK

darrynK Forum Addict

our survey said UUUUUUUH OHHHHHHHHHH!

you can't change the model of it! must be insured same as V5 states

7. VeeDubbed.co.uk Forum Member

I tried to get my driver insured for just a 30%BHP Increase and they put my policy up by a grand!

in saying that im paying 2 grand for my Driver. i was quoted by elephant.co.uk less than that for a 16v GTI.

so what id like to do is get my driver actually from there point of veiw a GTI. so that i can insure it. but not sure if that would happen as they dont like engine mods.

but might have to buy a GTI to start with but I like my driver shell. so any specalist insurers that would take in to account I also swaped out brakes suspension etc.. and not just put a big engine in.

in january i will have 1 year NCB and be 19 so hopefully it will go down enough to get a GTI.

and the mk1 well thats another story.

8. darrynK

darrynK Forum Addict

aye, seriously [:D]

go to admiral.com, get a quote, than add a low risk woman as 2nd driver - watch premium fall [:D]

9. TheSecondComing Forum Addict

I knocked 300 of a 1200 policy with Admiral by putting on my mum as a named driver. Always put that she has regular access to another car, and you don't. That way they think she has her own car and only gets yours now and again, and that you don't drive her Lambo Diablo VT very often.

10. Paul_R Forum Member

Speak to richgit about bhp/insurance increases... ;)

11. hayesey Forum Junkie

actually you can change the model. I've looked into it for mine. Apparently a lot of mini owners who covert them to cooper spec etc... do it.

The stumbling block is that you need a letter of consent from the car manufacturer in order for the DVLA to change the V5. I didn't bother asking VW, I really can't see them being up for it. Also, no idea who to write to or ask about it.

obviously you have to have converted everything to GTI spec. if I remember correctly there is a points system on the DVLA website. certain amount of points for engine, brakes, suspension etc... & if you have a certain amount of points then you can change the model description on the V5.
    Edited by: hayesey

12. darrynK

darrynK Forum Addict

yeah, and over a certain number of points you may end up with a lovely Q plate :)

13. thebluebus Forum Junkie

anyone know more details on these point things?
    I'm going to be changing the engine, brakes, suspension, colour, well pretty much everything.......don't want a Q plate! [:^(]

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.