Insuring my track 1.8t Mk2

Discussion in 'Insurance chat' started by Jommanjo, Jul 31, 2013.

1. Jommanjo Forum Member

I got on the phone today to insure my golf which has been off the road for a couple of years. Passed the MOT yesterday (celebratory beer).

I phoned FJ first as I had the flyer in my CGti pack. They asked first about the car, not about me. Ex 8v, was 112bhp, now 250, carbon roof, welded cage, konis, K04 1.8t, Wagner FMIC, Quaife diff, widetrack etc. He went off to ask the underwriters without any info on me, and came back with a flat refusal, albeit nicely. I tried to say beforehand that I'm 40, ARDS, IAM, NCB, CGti, married, garaged, clean licence etc but not a chance.

So I called Flux. They grilled me first, then the car details. 280 fully comp 2k miles p/a.

Kinda daft of FJ I reckon. Maybe not? My fast bike insurance is pish. Maybe they assumed I was an oik.

2. Furey

Furey Forum Member

I thought insuring oddball cars like yours was an FJ specialty?

3. Jommanjo Forum Member

Yes, I was bemused but what can you say? I understand the car is an insurers nightmare, especially if I sold it to a young lad, but thought my circumstance/history would balance it out - 3k miles a year max, it will probably do 3 trackdays a year, a few sunny Sunday mornings and spend the rest of its life in the garage or work's workshop getting fettled and licked to death.