Intermittent MK II Gti not starting, continued............

Discussion in '8-valve' started by Joker, Mar 4, 2011.

1. Joker Forum Member

Hi all,

Mark II Golf Gti 8v PB engine, standard, covered just under 200K.

This problem of the engine not starting is becoming tedious. The engine just cran
    ks over and seems not to catch. Every now and then, it will fire up and idle fine. However, as soon as you put the car underload, the engine just dies, as if fuel has stopped pumping. The engine can be revved when in neutral. The only way to stop the engine stalling when driving is to keep the revs above 2500.

rubjonny, Hooblah, thank you for your input as this has helped elimination, here is what I found.

1. The engine starts when the 19 relay (wiper, thanks rubjonny!) is gently pulled.

2. The immobiliser has long been disconnected about 70k ago and is not in question.

3. There are no holes in the throttle to air box hose.

4. So far, new parts are blue temperature sensor, rotor arm and distributer cap, all Bosch, the leads were the cheaper GSF kind, not Beru, or Bosch . I have checked all the vaccum hoses and they are fine.

5. ISV hums nicely.

6. No broken wires to fuel rail and reading is a little above 12v.

7. I have checked the main pump and lift pump. I crawled under the offside rear wheel arch and pulled off the plug off the pump, facing forward. Turned on the ignition one click and still heard a humming noise. Have I done this right and does this show healthy pumps?

Please, if any of you guys know which way I can go from here, let me know. Thanks for your help and patience.

Best

Joker

Last edited: Mar 4, 2011