iPhone app for 0-60, bhp, ect?

Discussion in 'General Chat' started by Richard Mk2, Jul 22, 2012.

1. Richard Mk2

Richard Mk2 Paid Member Paid Member

Just looking for some recomendations on iPhone apps which measure 0-60, 1/4 mile times, estimated bhp and so on :thumbd:

There was a thread about this but I can't seem to find it as the search is playing up for me!

If anyone could post up the apps they use that would be great.

Cheers Rich

2. thegave Forum Member

The one I have is PocketDyno.

3. whitemk2 Forum Member

I think there's one called torque which is supposed to be quite good

4. Deako Paid Member Paid Member

You can get apps that are compatible with Bluetooth OBDII port scanners as well.

5. Richard Mk2

Cheers for the replys everyone :thumbup:

I came across this one, whats it like ? :thumbup:

I'll have a look for that one and see what the reviews are like! :thumbup:

Sounds interesting Luke. Any links ? :thumbup:

6. Ecurie Ecosse Forum Member

Ha ha - I have a BMW M Power app which is free.

Beware though, a friend and I decided to try it out on my new to me 2.1 TSR Silverstone Mk2 Golf. We managed to break the driveshaft less than 24 hours after buying the car.

Gumtree came to the rescue and, less than 2 hours later, we managed to source another driveshaft, buy it, and fit it.

Good times!!

7. thegave Forum Member

I wouldn't know I've never found a stable enough mount to hold it in place and now the accelerometer is so knackered it would probably say I'm going backwards.

8. TheSecondComing Forum Addict

Torque is amazing - have a look at some of the Youtube vids for it. Just type in Android Torque.
    But it's only for Android, or apparently you can run it on a bluetooth laptop via a "virtual box" or something - too much hard work for me!
    It'll only pull info off petrol cars around 2000(?) and newer, and diesels around 2006 and newer.
    A 3 quid download though, I have it on my ex-neighbour's son's phone (he's about 13!) as the neighbour had a misfire on his beemer - all sorted now, just needed a coil pack thing which the dealer wanted OVER A MILLION POUNDS to fit - but with free coffee and biscuits.
    35 later, tenner for the bluetooth adaptor, and a bit of screwdriver twiddling, all sorted and the check engine light cleared.
    TBH I've tried a few of the Bluetooth diagnostics/ 1/4 mile / bhp programs, which will run on a Windows laptop, and nothing come close to Torque - datalogging round a track and all that so you can see where you hit peak revs, etc. - even if I wasn't going to get an Android phone as my upgrade (Galaxy S3), I'd buy an old one from Ebay just to run Torque!

9. TheSecondComing Forum Addict

"Rev" is supposed to be good, but expensive - but apparently they need to run by cable/WiFi unless your phone is jailbroken? Not an expert, so feel free to kill me if I'm wrong, I've never had an Iphone and there is something about it's Bluetooth being locked down or some other rubbish I'm probably talking.

10. Deako Paid Member Paid Member

Jailbreak, Harry's lap timer, BT Stack, GPS receiver and obd2 scanner. So much win!!

11. GYS

Gys New Member

Clearly an issue of the wrong phone... ;)

For the Android there is:
    - Torque, which is indeed a superb applicaton (if you have OBD-II compliant car)...
    - Dynomaster, what does what the TS wants...
    - Trackmaster, for lap timing...

Then you have more or less the kind of telemetry that Renault (Megane RS) or Opel (Astra GTC OPC) want to sell you for more(price in the range of 300 EUR IIRC). Only they can obviously access some information that is normally not availalbe on OBD-II.

12. dub303 Forum Member

Just watched some vids on the tube... Anyone tried it on a golf mk4 1.8t AGU ? Seems worth a go for around 15 all in... But do all the functions work on older cars? eBay ads say they fit mk2 golfs... Is that right? Seen the port on the mk4 under the climate panel but where is it on the mk2 (16v)?

13. Mike_H Forum Addict

I use Dynolicious. Variability in your gear changes will mess up any of these apps, so you need to really do zero->max RPM in 2nd gear to get comparability.

14. TheSecondComing Forum Addict

Dub303 -
    I doubt you could pull anything useful from a Mk2 even if you could find the non-existent OBD-II port - unless your Mk2 was built after 1996! I couldn't get a thing from a mate's Bora (2002 diesel). The main reason I bought one is because I have a 1998 Grand Cherokee climate changer monster, and yank-built cars were well equipped with diagnostic ports by then. Here's a little list - http://www.obdtool.com/obdcars.htm

Last edited: Jul 24, 2012
  15. dub303 Forum Member

Glad I haven't spent a sunny day looking for it then... Thought it was optimistic.
    Wonder why the bora didn't show anything, there are two versions looking at your link, maybe that has something to do with it?

Someone must have tried it on a mk4 golf (mines a 2000 model)... Off to search the tinterweb...

16. Richard Mk2

Cheers for getting back everyone :thumbup:

Will try out a few apps on the weekend and then report back. There also seems to be a Bosch one available which looks good.

17. dub303 Forum Member

Apparently the android torque app doesn't work on an AGU....:cry:

18. TheSecondComing Forum Addict

2006 onwards in the UK seems to be when you can use a Bluetooth OBD connection, for diesels - petrol engines were from much earlier on, apparently. No idea why! You can get some info from a 2004 on diesel, but not much - 2001 onwards for Petrol ones. You might pick up something, but nowhere near what you can get on a full OBD scan with a compliant model. My Jeep picks up everything on Torque, just because it's a Yank car and they brought it in a lot earlier.

19. luke w

luke w Forum Junkie

I've got one called G-Tac (the free version). They done a test of quite a few different ones in Autocar a few years ago and that one came out top when compared to their timing gear, it consistantly the closest to those times, most of the time it gave the same reading. Haven't got round to finding enough clear space to calibrate it though.