Iridium sparkplugs for 1.8kr

Discussion in 'Engines' started by KeithMac, Oct 28, 2003.

1. KeithMac Forum Junkie

I need a set of iridium plugs for my mk2 16v kr, has anybody fitted them? part number?

The denso listing is a load of bollox (same plug as an 8v gti) and NGK don`t seem to do one..

Cheers all.

2. GVK

GVK Paid Member Paid Member

NGKs US site lists Iridium IX BKR6EIX for a 9A 16v

Contact NGK direct

NGK's UK Site go to parts finder

I just use the normal NGKs, weird, all the time I've had a 16v I've fitted BKUR7ET as that what the autodata book at work lists for a KR..LOL

They're for a PL - KR should run BCP7ETs!!

Amazing what you can find on the 'net!

NGK Spark plug markings

Seems as though the BKUR are semi-surface discharge plugs*,that's the only difference to the BCP7ETs...

*The wide gap of semi-surface discharge type improves ignition capability and is less sensitive to voltage requirement increases due to gap growth. Semi-surface discharge plugs burn away the carbon on the insulator to suppress a decline of insulator resistance
    Edited by: G_V_K

3. KeithMac Forum Junkie

Cheers Gary, I`m using bosch supers at the moment but want a decent set of single electrode plugs.

It`s a bit confusing with the plug numbers as well, B plugs for bikes are a hell of a lot bigger (diameter) than the ones in the golf!

The difference between 6 and 7 is the heat rating, 6`s may be a bit hot for the kr?

4. VR6T

VR6T Forum Member

Gents here is a good site I found the other day when I was having all my plug problems with the VR6T, the woman I spoke to (Rebacca) and bought some denso Q24PRZU's off knew here stuff. There are plug comparision charts on this site.
    I also spoke to NGK in the UK, they were not much us but they did send me loads of bumff. One interesting point that came out of all the questions I was asking was that NGK UK and NGK USA have different plug Numbers for the same plug...Plugs that are available in the US are not imported into the UK and vica versa. The only plug manufacture the seems to on the ball is Denso...

spark plugs
    Edited by: VR6T

5. Enigmatik33 Forum Member

i've always bought super 4's for my cars, but you guys appear to be saying single contacts are better? can i get any advice before i go buy a set for gf's car (91 jplate 8v) cheers

6. KeithMac Forum Junkie

Only good thing aboput super 4`s is they last longer, last year g/friend had idle problems with them (1000 miles old) swaped for single ngk`s and it was loads better. My idles not as good as it should be, have set it all up as it should be, going to try some single electrode plgs in it and see what happens.

7. KeithMac Forum Junkie

SparkPlus.co.uk have come up trumps, Denso IK20`s for me, ngk don`t make an iridium plug to fit at the moment.

Funny thing is their listings don`t list the Kr 16v as a GTI?

8. Golden Forum Junkie

Why do you feel you need iridium plugs?

9. KeithMac Forum Junkie

Just for the fun of it! I like the idea. Bought some Champion EON 1`s today, Denso`s will have to wait `till after the trackday.