Is anybody using a Manual Boost Controller

Discussion in 'Diesel' started by Brookster, Dec 19, 2011.

1. Brookster

Brookster Paid Member Paid Member

Hello Everyone

Has anybody got a Manual Boost Controller fitted to their Turbo Diesel :thumbup:

any info and pictures of your install would help.

Thanks

2. Dubnutter Forum Member

From what I have pooled together from talking to a few people in the know. A Dawes device is best for boost control. Having switchable boost ala petrol turbo cars is not the same with diesels. I wanted a 2 stage boost control for high and low power. But apparently the ecu won't reduce fueling on low boost and will just smoke because it is not seeing the max requested boost figure.

A Dawes device is not a bleed valve, it is in inline valve that cracks open at a pre set boost level. This is good because the waste gate stays firmly shut and does not 'creep' open until the set boost is seen.

3. Brookster

Cheers

mine is mechanical Diesel Injection Bosch VE Pump which is having an LDA fitted for the Fuel enrichment on Boost so no MAF sensors or N75 / N18 Valves or anything to go faulty [:D]

Good Old Fashioned IDI with a Turbo fitted

4. aidanb22 Forum Member

I think I briefly had the same turbo as you, are there 2 seperate pressure takeoffs from the compressor housing?
    Regardless, it'll need the 'in' from the compressor housing and the out to the actuator. On the 'in' side you are going to need a line to the boost gauge and a line to the LDA, its going to look messy!

5. Brookster

I have the line to the boost gauge working fine off the Manifold , i need to split the stainless line from the compressor to the actuator . Which i will just cut and clamp the vacum hose over .

Its a K14 2267 Turbo with internal actuator off a Volvo V70 TDI

yes there will be a few pipes running eveywhere once i fit the LDA , think i'll get some black hose, the yellow came with the kit :thumbup:

already changed the plumbing since this photos too, clear hose only connected to intake now to ( boost gauge)

[​IMG]

Last edited: Dec 20, 2011
  6. aidanb22 Forum Member

Yes that is the one I had, I thought it strange it had the steel line direct to the actuator, maybe the early models didn't have an N75?

Anyway, I would just do as you say, cut that line (I would definitely flare the ends) and put the boost controller in line, then use the other take off for the boost gauge and LDA.

7. Brookster

Here's the K14 and stainless actuator line.

[​IMG]

8. aidanb22 Forum Member

Ah now I remember (briefly had this fitted to a 1Z, bit of a nightmare), I wonder if the 2nd port of the actuator was for the n75 to provide vacuum to? I.e the compressor puts pressure to one side of the diaphragm, and it can have vacuum to the other?

I personally would fit banjo hose tails to each end on that, and move the boost controller somewhere more accessible. I was told by a reliable source this is ok to 1.5 bar'ish, which is probably more than you'll need in a non-turbo block with non turbo injectors (maybe 5 GTD injectors will prove to be an upgrade?)

9. Brookster

Don't think i'll run anymore than 1bar but interesting , all the reasearch i've been doing shows the best upgrate to achieve correct fuelling and boost is the installtion of an LDA on my Bosch VE Pump.

The Pump in its present state of tune is good for 160BHP :thumbup:

The Engine was 77BHP as standard so anything over 100 is a bonus its make the T4 alot more drivable and better for towing the MK1.

Seen some good results in the states from NA 1.6L Diesels being Turbo'd

10. aidanb22 Forum Member

Are you using it as it is at the moment? Just wondering how off-boost smoke is/was?
    Also what boost are you seeing on the gauge? Would've expected 1bar as standard on that seeing as its from a 140bhp tdi, once you turn the fuelling up anyway

11. Brookster

Boost Controller all fitted *<:-)>

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Ran it at 0.8bar first EGT's were good [:D]

[​IMG]

Then wound it upto 1 bar runs great and pulls really well and EGT's are below 500deg max T:

No smoke off Boost too, you don't get much smoke with Veggie Oil [:D]

12. m1keh Forum Member

Where are you measuring the 500 deg EGT?

13. Brookster

Manifold just before the Turbo flange were is needs to be :thumbup:

Needs more fuel thats why the EGT's are low.

Some people put them in th exhaust after the Turbo but you have to take into account the 100deg drop after the Turbo ( that's probabley were you thought i might have it)

[​IMG]

Last edited: Dec 28, 2011
  14. Jon Olds Forum Junkie

I have put a boost controller on a petrol and think I understand the point of it. I cannot see why the same principles don't apply to diesels. A dawes device is not a controller. Controller implies it has feedback of the process and uses closed loop control to achieve the desired setting. It would be an interesting test to fit boost control to my ancient 5 cyl merc turbo camper van, to see what effect having the wastegate hard shut during spool up made. Your thoughts on this appreciated.

15. m1keh Forum Member

500 is cold for temps read in that posistion. Your gonna get a shock when you get some more fuel...

16. Brookster

Oh yes i know :thumbup:

the temps are 500 deg C, max temp is arround 700 deg C (1200deg F)

Need to get an LDA fitted to the Bosch VE Injection Pump , if i increase the fuel anymore at the moment it will smoke alot off boost .

but might try it anyway [:D]

The front grill needs a few 50mm holes drilling in it too to get more air flow to the intercooler, at the moment its covering half of it.

so room for alot more improvements :)

17. LregG

LregG Paid Member Paid Member

I'm liking this...do you notice a drop or increase to manifold temps when on the veg oil?

What bore exhaust are you currently running? 2 1/2" would be my choice for this application:thumbup:

Last edited: Dec 31, 2011
  18. Brookster

2 1/2 " exhaust just fitted :thumbup:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Side exit

[​IMG]

i havn't run on Diesel for 3 years so i couldn't comment on the EGT's on the different fuel.