Is It Worth It..?

Discussion in 'Wheels and Tyres' started by Dietrich, Jun 28, 2004.

1. Dietrich Forum Member

As I was explaining the other day, I've got hold of some new wheels, but they ain't playing fair... [:s]

A couple of things:

My current wheels (BBS VR6) appear to be marked on the wheels as offset 43. There's already a 6mm spacer in place, making an offset of 37, right? My new wheels (offset 40) don't go on - they won't clear the caliper. Even with that existing spacer in place (therefore assumedly offset of 34?). Even with another 6mm spacer in they're not quite there (or about the mark - I can't really confirm). To be happy, I'd need the existing 6mm spacer plus an 8mm spacer, or a single 14mm+ spacer. Wouldn't that offset the wheel at 26 (40-14=26)? By this time, even with the correct spigot ring in place, it'd be nowhere near to making contact with anything. Anyway - spacers aren't a real problem.

The thing is, once I'd put the second spacer in place, not only do I have to take into consideration that I'll need longer bolts so they don't just fall off, but the bolts are too big in diameter to go through the wheels. Why is that? I thought it'd be a pretty standard thing.

My only option is to have the wheel machined to make longer bolts fit.

So far, as far as costs are concerned, I'm looking at:

The wheels / tyres themselves (bought already)
    Longer wheel bolts
    Longer locking wheel bolts
    8mm spacers
    Cost of machining the wheels

Is it worth it?

[​IMG]

Currently I don't know. :thumbd:

Tom

Edited by: Ghost

2. darrynK

darrynK Forum Addict

if you must use spacers ONLY use the ones which bolt directly to the hub, and then the wheel bolts to the spacer.
    None o this longer wheel bolt crap- i just wouldn't trust it! FK do the hubcentric ones. (system B maybe?)

3. Dietrich Forum Member

Ain't hub spacers 200+ a set? Wouldn't be worth the bother. :thumbd:

I'm giving myself until the weekend to sort something out, so any ideas are welcome.

Tom

4. RSSGOLF Forum Junkie

Sell the wheels you just bought, and get the right wheels for the car?

5. Dietrich Forum Member

Yeah, RSS, but no good if I don't know where I went wrong...

They're 5x100 17x7 offset of 40.

If I knew why they didn't fit I could start looking for another set...

Tom

6. mk1vdub Forum Member

too high an offset, sell those wheels and get some with an offset of about 30 - depending on where you buy them see if you can test fit them on the car before you buy ;)

look really smart in the pic mate really suit the car :thumbup:

7. AndrewF Forum Addict

the mans right...if you use non-hubcentric spacers, you could well have the wheel bolts snap sooner or later.

where's it hitting the caliper, and is your mkIII late spec with 288mm brakes...i've heard of those calipers hitting loads of wheels. i'll swap with my 280mm brakes if you want? ;) :lol:

8. Dietrich Forum Member

Cheers, that was the info I was after. Why the hell a website I read said the GTI was up to a 38 and why my current ones have 43 stamped on them I'll never know. [:x]

As for being nice rims - yeah I like 'em.

Coming to an eBay auction near you. :thumbd:

Tom

9. Dietrich Forum Member

The caliper just sticks out too far and hits the inside of the spokes. It's an early MK3 (1992) so I doubt it, unless they've been uprated (it's a possibility).

Tom

10. AndrewF Forum Addict

bizarre, not heard of probs with 2800mm calipers. do they have a thin silver spring clip across the front? (if they do they're later 288mm ones, if not then they're not)

11. 1990

1990 Paid Member Paid Member

Its the design of the spokes on the wheel thats causing your problem, they go too far inwards.

12. Admin Guest

i'd say probably not!
    got into a similar situation with my golf, took the allos off the caddy as they had more tread on than the golf for an MOT, but the fckers didn't fit, i presumed that they would being the same car more or less, on further inspection i couldn't see how the wheels could have been safely on the car, two wheels matched but hub sizes were still bigger than that of the golf and caddy but no spigot rings, the other two were even more varied and din't match, this was after i had gone and bought the spigot rings to fir them to the car, bolts wouldn't fit also on the golf but did the caddy. [:s]

so after much fcking about i just went and paid 50 for two new front tyres, and have put the alloys back to the caddy.

so the moral of the story get the right one the first time, even if you think it will be ok..the messing around is not worth it.

having said that my porsche adapters weren't plain sailing either......but easily solved(at a cost..)