Is My mk2 MFA Trip computer broken?

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous Technical Queries' started by smp1987, Sep 5, 2009.

1. smp1987 Forum Member

Hi all

was driving my mk2 and after about 20min for driving looked at the MPG on the trip comp and it said 11.8 i know that this is well off for a 1.8 8v [:s]
    i have been running it on super unleaded but this should make it do a better MPG?
    is it doing a rubbish MPG or is it the Trip computer playing up? what else could be causing the problem?

Last edited: Sep 5, 2009
  2. MUSHY 16V

MUSHY 16V Moderator Staff Member Moderator

the vac hose may have come off the back of the clocks or in the engine bay

3. smp1987 Forum Member

i think you may have solved the mystery the clocks on the car atm are naff and i did notice the hose behind the dash but nowhere to put it. thanks mate :thumbup:

were would the vac hose be in the engine bay?

4. neil kaye Forum Junkie

goes to the brake servo pipe from inlet manifold

5. SimonG Forum Member

Wouldn't you have astronimical mpg if the hose was disconnected?

6. EZ does it Forum Member

I'm pretty sure if the hose comes off they read 99.9 mpg

7. smp1987 Forum Member

the mpg has bee all over the place when i had a glans at it while driving it said 9.9 could have said 99.9 but i was driving wasn't paying attention to it

8. neil kaye Forum Junkie

i think maybee the engine may run a little rough too if there was a vac leek,try this.locate where the vac pipe goes on the servo pipe, take the vac pipe off ,cover the hole up on the servo pipe,see if there is any difference how the engine runs like this compared to how it runs now,if theres no change the chances are the vac pipe is intact and the fault is on the unit on the clocks
    thats the only way i can think of checking it,appart from getting a set of clocks and trying them

9. smp1987 Forum Member

thanks i will try that when i can get it stared the immobilizer died on my yesterday [:s]
    getting it sorted Tuesday thanks mate :thumbup:

10. neil kaye Forum Junkie

just noticed you have a thread going about your alarm system,and youv disconnected your car battery,the mfa does reset itself after the battery has been disconnected ,and maybe you havnt drove long enuff for the mfa to work out its averages,long shot but worth considering

11. smp1987 Forum Member

i haven't driven the car since the battery was disconnected i think the clocks a broken the rev jumps all over the place when you accelerate i thinks its just old and needs changing

12. neil kaye Forum Junkie

one possibilty why the mfa is all over then,dont forget too when the rev counter (i assume you mean this and not the engine revs) is all over the place its a sign off the hall sender failing

13. smp1987 Forum Member

its the clock pin a think the revs on the car sound fine just when i change gear the pin goose made but the engine revs stay the same putt another set of clock on it the other day revs were fine but the MPH and the fuel gauge didn't work on that set :lol: