Is Sony Gay?

Discussion in 'ICE' started by couzens, Nov 9, 2003.

1. couzens Forum Member

Hi everyone, need a Sony CD question answered if possible. Got the standard 10 stack Sony CD player in the back of my VR6, but doesn't seem to like my pirate audio CD's. At first I thought it may not be working but tried a normal CD bought from the shops and that worked.

Could it be that the CD player is looking for a code on the CD that isn't there as its a pirate CD. It keeps on coming up with an ERROR message on the centre console. Seems odd because my other car cd player, Goodmans, played them ok and they play ok in the house.

Any ideas anyone?

2. mk3anniversary Forum Member

my old kenny could read CD-R's, but my new one can. Maybe its just too old

3. couzens Forum Member

Can't be the CD's, their relatively new. The CD player on a late '97 car. Can that be old? I don't know

4. binliner Forum Member

its the player Ive got the same one I think... I thought mine was
    knackered but it plays originals fine and like u say its not the
    cds as other players will play them.... its only recently that car
    cd players guaranteed CDR playback

Im gonna get an mp3 head unit instead of a new changer

5. couzens Forum Member

Oh great, how much would an mp3 head unit cost?

6. DAVE 2227 Forum Junkie

My sony plays cdr`s no problem have you tried different media or different recording method.

7. binliner Forum Member

about 190 for a sony/kenwood/pioneer 4x50w

Ive still got the standard sony head unit in mine which has no
    out for an amp so if I want to add an amp & sub I need a new
    head unit anyway... in the mean time Im just using original cds
    in the changer!

8. Jeff Forum Junkie

CD-Rs dont work properly in normal CD players not designed for them because they arent shiny enough, or something. My kenwood cd changer was the same too, sometimes worked sometimes didnt, seemed to be very hit and miss.

of course all the new cd players say on the front that they support CD-Rs nowadays.

9. mr.brown

mr.brown Paid Member Paid Member

CD-Rs are slightly thinner and require a different type of laser to be read - at least that's what bloke said down the pub...

10. couzens Forum Member

My sis's b/f has said check the format of the cd that it is an mp3 format and not in a windows folder. Having done that, he said check the instructions for the cd changer that i have to see if it supports mp3 applications. Will do both.

11. 76

76 Forum Member

I have a 2002 Sony six disc and that plays them but when i got mine it was a feature that had only recently gone on to the Sony units!!

Mine also had to go back for repair after 15months[xx(]

12. binliner Forum Member

If its an mp3 cd that'll be why it doesnt read it

13. swax Forum Member

14. Chris Forum Member

Mine stopped playing cdr's. I have a t69. Then it packed up altogether. Got it sent off for repair, looks like laser was buggered, prob same for yourself.

15. vealige Forum Member

Some CD players will only play CDR's others will only play CDRW's! The reason is due to the colour layers they use and how the laser reflects this back to the receiver that reads it. Certain colours will work others won't you may also be able to read certain media, but it may occasionally jump and FFWD, again this is due to how the disc is manufactured. Sony Laser readers are really sensitive and you can have a lot of problems with them.

Go down the MD route, so much easier to use u can't scratch them and you can fit 5CD's on em. Plus its ideal you can chuck em anywhere in the car and not worry about them. So what not you can't buy many albums new but lets face it how many of us buy CD albums still? [:D]

16. WEZ

Wez Official Friday thread starter

seems we acquire them different ways, how are we going to get this format onto minidisc?
    mp3 is the way forward, solves mucho prob and can still buy cd's if need be.......

17. evo baz New Member

my sony CD player will play CDR's but not CDRW's ,and also i've noticed that the CRD's seem to jump a bit more often that genuine CD's

18. swax Forum Member

You can convert MP3s to play on mini-disks, but don't ask me how ! I agree that MP3 is the way forward, but.....

Most, if not all companies who make Audio equipment are under alot of pressure from the Record industry to stop making products which can read Writable and Re-Writable digital media, due to the widespread mis-use of peer-to-peer file swaping and illegal copying of music. As they loose 10s millions each year in loss of sales because of this, I think after a while there will be a turn around in CD media, and a move more towards a solid state/HDD technology in in-car audio. After all, its still digital, but there is no media!

Afternote:

When my car was busted into, (scumbags, I know where you live..) they completely ignored my MD player, and all my mini-disks..

19. Chris Forum Member

MD is not the way forward. If it was, would have happened by now. MP3 or other lossy compression formats are. You won't want to put mp3's onto a MD. As they are basically decoded then encoded, so basically, Raw file on CD to WAV to MP3 to AAC. Every time you do this, you will lose a lot of sound quality. To get mp3's onto MD, just plug optical or audio cable into comp and play files and record, otherwise some MD programs will do this (If I am right) and send files straight to MD, no real time recording. As for the music companies, they are just using protection methods to try and combat it, by stopping CD's from being allowed to be copied by various methods, though all methods so far have been overcome. When it comes to audio in cars, having solid state/HD technologies will require the owner to have a PC (not everyone does), therfore less demand. Even then, the music that will go onto these future devices will need to come from somewhere, downloaded then uploaded to head unit. It won't stop piracy. Oh and sorry for the mini essay, lol

20. Armour

Armour Forum Junkie

My Kenwood Mask plays CDR's no problem, but my Alpine doesn't. I prefer to sing to myself anyway ;)

Alan