itb intake airbox ram air plenum

Discussion in 'Throttle bodies & non-OEM ECUs' started by bazoldskoolmk2, Mar 3, 2015.

1. bazoldskoolmk2 Forum Member

so i have a project that has been on the back burner for many years due to something or another, the time has come to get on with it!!!!!!1

i am going to be running MS with jenvey itbs on a standard 16v motor initially. i plan to familiarise myself with the controller and its potential before making further modifications. one step at a time.

i cannot stop myself from thinking ahead and have been thinking of an airbox (after reading various threads). so i like the idea of the ram air effect, dropping my radiator and collecting air from the front of the vehicle.

so far my plan has been to have an alpha-n configuration and i assume this will be fine as long as the calibration is carried out on the road. i figure that the ram air effect cannot be replicated on a dyno and therefore wot optimisation may be difficult??? perhaps there may be risk of running lean?

if i understand this correctly then i guess that maybe running speed density could be a solution, otherwise there may be a way of incorporating enrichment on the account of additional sensors/info that could be designed in to my airbox and configured with my MS.

any help at this early stage of design would be appreciated.

Baz

2. notenoughtime

notenoughtime Moderator Moderator

Maybe running an AFR gauge you would be able to check readings, track time would help or road mapping is possible and tune on the laptop as its being driven :thumbup:

bazoldskoolmk2 likes this.
  3. bazoldskoolmk2 Forum Member

thanks notenoughtime

yes, i have a wideband lc1 ready to fit. lots of my uncertainty is based on the fact that i have no practical output from this build. that is about to change. i have been considering datalogging of intake pressures at strategic points as well but empirical information from reliable sources (amongst many other unknowns) is the basis of my request for additional information.

4. bazoldskoolmk2 Forum Member

to rephrase the above, i am just looking for further help and any input whatsoever, i think i know what you mean notenoughtime

5. bazoldskoolmk2 Forum Member

so you mean that i take feedback from my wideband LC-1 from the gauge and calibrate according to what i am represented with visually. that makes sense.

6. notenoughtime

notenoughtime Moderator Moderator

Yes I think thats right! Lol

If you are live mapping it then you shouldn't have an issue as live data will show on laptop screen iirc but you can add fuel obviously as you go if you have your AFR also

7. bazoldskoolmk2 Forum Member

cheers dude

8. Nige

Nige Paid Member Paid Member

I don't think the ram air will make a difference, but the cooler air supply will certainly help!

If you have a wideband, keep an eye on it, but I recall reading somewhere the speed needed for meaningful Ram effect was far higher than you would expect

9. drunkenalan Paid Member Paid Member

i remember reading that ram air thing is a bit of a myth, its more about fresh cool air, from memory it was about 165mph before any kind of positive pressure is created.

ill see if i can dig the article out,

that doesnt mean that a well designed airbox / plenum wont help. ill be watching with interest.

bazoldskoolmk2 and Nige like this.
  10. thegeo

thegeo Forum Member

Had this with a stock radiator
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

had to drop the trumpet angle a bit to get the ITG foam air filter under the bonnet...

[video]https://youtu.be/m8jetNXqcGo[/video]

Had to run Alpha-N in the end. MAP was all over the place. Speed density works OK on the microsquirted 2.0 8v that's now in my cabriolet, but that doesn't have ITBs

I was going to fit one of these
    http://www.borlainduction.com/air-boxes.html
    over the air horns but am now going ABF manifold as the car is back from canada and needs an stock inlet system to be legal for UK road rallies.

11. bazoldskoolmk2 Forum Member

still working on this lol, i think i am going to go for a suitably sized plenum configuration with a KN for now. save re-inventing the wheel for later!

Meanwhile, i just thought i would share some light reading i stumbled across. no doubt this is old hat for many folks but if someone finds it as interesting as i did then i can surely consider that i have made some sort of contribution.

oh yeah, its about variable intake manifolds/resonance pulse tuning/general tickery

http://www.autozine.org/technical_school/engine/Intake_exhaust.html