item identification (bit long)

Discussion in 'Engines' started by Enigmatik33, Oct 31, 2003.

1. Enigmatik33 Forum Member

need a little help identifying something so i can go look for the right part. right quick story, last week I thought i cooked the ecu on my 88 digi, wouldn't fire but turned over. [:s]I'd put it down to a bad earth that i'd been meaning to do for months [xx(], anyway smithy sent me a replacement (thanx mate) plugged it in when it arrived this morning and nadda!

now there are two plugs, one for the ecu and the otherfor the thing i need identifying, it's a flat metal plate that sits on the ecu cradle. it has a flat 5/6 pin connector. I think it's something to do with the electronic ignition. as i was sure i hadn't cooked the new one (i replaced all the leads and earths last week, and the car has been running on my passats ecu fine), i tried an experiment, smithy only sent the black box not the cradle with said mystery item. so i plugged the ecu in to it's cable and the second one into the passats mystery item, turned the key and she fired and ran fine. to check again i pluged in the suspected blown one, using the same rig up again she fired and ran, leading me to assume it's this mystery item that is fecked! so what is it and does it need to be off a gti for replacement?

the other thought was that is this what happens every time someone thinks they cook the ecu, the black box is acutally fine and it's this item that fails leading to folk spending lots more money than they really have too?

any help would be great folks :)

2. jake Forum Member

Probably th TCI-H switch, might be made by bosch telefunken or someone like that. It works with the hall sender to do what the points used to do.

Mine went (leaving me on a busy jucntion) and I swapped it for my polo one and it seems fine but I think I could do with the right one for the car (88 digi) if anyone has the part munber.

3. Golden Forum Junkie

I believe the bit you are after is the ingnition amplifier.

Does it have this part number 191 905 351 B or similar on it. If so then thats the kiddie.