Ive driven the mk5 today!

Discussion in 'Mk5' started by lewiscypher, Jan 24, 2004.

1. lewiscypher Forum Member

Had a go in the mk5 gttdi today at Newbolds in Mmansfield ( Ive lent them my mk2 for the launch)

The engine is incredible, massive torque its like have a big v8 under the bonnet a wiff of throttle and hardly any revs and it just takes off, even in 6th gear.

Handling seems v good although I didnt really get to extend it much, the electric servo steering is a bit wierd you arent connected to the wheels and it feels like it, its not bad and I think youd get used to it but Im not convinced it has any real advantage over the traditional set up on the earlier cars.

In character its like a big exec cruiser, borrowed 5 series BMW for a weekend a while ago and it felt a bit like that, more a of a grand tourer than a point and squirt machine.

Hugely capeable though and pretty impressive overall- but I would only have it as well as my mk2 not instead of.

2. DarrenW Forum Junkie

Cool! Can't wait to see one on the road. Think I'll be sticking with my lightweight, nimble Mk1 though!

3. lewiscypher Forum Member

Yes they are a different kettle of fish altogether

Vw ought to focus on their smaller models and do a stripped version for the enthusiast with a big engine trick suspension good seast simple styling and a reasonable sticker price

like the 106 rallye or clio cup- both were successful and deserved to be!

4. couzens Forum Member

So is the MK5 even heavier than the MK4, and what engine size were you driving?

5. AndrewF Forum Addict

yeah, anyone know the weight of a mkV? i think mkIV are's up towards 1500kg, aren't they?

6. diggerbucket Forum Member

Can't be as much as that, surely? I'd have guessed 1300kg

7. lewiscypher Forum Member

unladen wieght of the gttdi is 1450 kgs / gross vehicle wieght 19870 kgs according to the brochure,

bound to be heavier than mk4 its bigger and loaded with kit

engine is 2 litre (1968 cc) 140 nhp 236 lbs ft torque

8. Rob.gti Forum Member

It is slightly heavier than the MK4, but the new chassis carries it well according to all the reviews. Some have even called it "nibble" ;)

9. slick Forum Junkie

"nibble"???

i would rather have a "nibble" on my mk2 16v thanks all the same rather than the full fat animals vw are currently pumping out

:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :clap:

Slick

10. binliner Forum Member

Im going for a test drive soon...went to the launch earlier this
    week I have to say its the ugliest golf so far imo ;)

11. paul.ekc Forum Member

I'm gonna head to my local dealer tommorrow to see one in the flesh, not really made up my mind yet about the looks!! [:s] The reviews have been good though so they'll probably sell bucket loads of em' ;)

12. paulgti16v Forum Member

saw one today ! looked minging compared to the r32 next to it on the showroom

13. Steve B Forum Junkie

i had my first passenger experience in a mk 4 the other day was impressed with the comfyness of it and it was nippy for a 1.4 and it was how i wish my car was in the fact that everythign worked and felt new, but i prefered he ride of the mk2 much quicker feel and i expect it would be much the same for the mk5

havnet seen one yet tho

14. drew Forum Member

1450 kg's!

That's 640kg more than an mk1 and it's more than our Mk5 Passat Estate, that weighs in at 1394kgs! :o

Cheers,

Drew.

15. couzens Forum Member

I went down my local dealership last night and they haven't even got one in the showroom. They did have an R32 but even that's gone. All they had were the new Polo's. [:x]

16. Rob.gti Forum Member

The MK5s are not in the showrooms yet. Launch isnt until 30th January. Most people have seen the car at special preview evenings.

However, if you get on well with your local dealer, they will show you the car ;)