Ive just lost my job..... need advice.

Discussion in 'General Chat' started by richgit, Apr 15, 2005.

1. richgit Forum Junkie

:(

Ill set the scene:

3 months ago, i passed a white colleague who i get along well with, and said to him 'word up my nigga' as a friendly term of 'hey mate whats up'. As a lot of you know me, i didnt mean this in a derogatory fashion at all, it was just a way of me saying hi.

A black colleague overheard what i said and made a complaint to the manager at the time, i was brought into his office and he said that cathy overheard what i said, was not happy and wanted me to understand she was offended. I was given a verbal warning and i apologised profusely to cathy after and said i didnt mean anything by it.

That was done and dusted, but unfortunately on monday of this week (11th) another black colleague overheard a conversation between me and a white friend. My mate came walking up to me being jokey as we normally are, and i said 'boy, you acting like a nigga', just literally meaning that he was acting like a mate of mine, acting cool. Bad timing again.... a different black colleague overheard me, said to me immediately that she didnt like me saying that word and i apologised saying that i said it as a term of endearment and nothing else, no racial intent was meant.

She went and told management, who then pulled me into the office and suspended me there and then until further investigation. On wednesday i went along to mercedes to give my side of the story, eddy, my mate who i said the remark to, defended me aswell, telling them also that i meant nothing by it and we were just chatting like mates, and not about black people or about them in a derogatory fashion.

Today, i had the meeting with the manager of mercedes edmonton and the HR manager. They again listened to my side, they had the notes from the cathy incident 3 months ago, and the one on the 11th. I was extremely apologetic and again said i was extremely stupid for having said it and that i would never slip up again.

Despite my plea, the manager said that he was dismissing me on the grounds that i would probably say the word again. He accepted that i didnt mean it in a racial manner, but that it was too risky and the chances were that i would say it again.

Tbh, i was in total shock and really didnt know what to say, they said i have the right to appeal, but now its got to this stage i dont hold out much hope :( Thing is, i never ever got a written warning or anything, the 1st incident i got a verbal warning but it was ok because cathy didnt want to take it any further.

Im totally and utterly shocked that they have sacked me on that basis, and i believe its wrongful dismissal. Im just wondering if you guys have any thoughts on the matter, i have told the story EXACTLY as it happened on both cases, and there is absolutely nothing more to add.

Im gutted [:^(]

2. Rahul Forum Junkie

Sh1t man!

Thing is though, you kinda dropped yourself in it doing it again!

I know you are obviously not racist, who cares if you were, the point is, you were not even saying the word to the 'offended' persons in question.

To be honest, its a farce. Every five seconds you hear 'ma nigga' uttered in hip hop tunes.

And its not as if you verbally abused the woman. A farce tbh.
    Edited by: CabrioRags

3. GTiwale Forum Member

thats crap, bloody PC.

4. alby Forum Junkie

thats bad news

check they've followed the proper procedures for dismissal.if not rape them blind for a cash settlement

5. jjarvis Forum Junkie

[8(] Sorry to hear that mate, that sucks

Maybe try the citizens advice bureau?

6. daiseyfleur Forum Member

Aww sorry to hear that Rich, try phoning ACAS 08457 47 47 47 or going online to their site (www.acas.co.uk) but to be honnest dont think you have any rights untill you have been employed by the company for a year and I think its usually a 3 month probationary period in most companies.

But they should of followed proceedure and given you a written warning unless it was gross misconduct then they can suspend you or sack you on the spot [:s]

7. Rahul Forum Junkie

The thing is, the dismissal process is justified from their position. If Rich appeals, they can just turn round and say, nah he made two racist remarks, which would leave rich with no leg to stand on. [8(]

8. Imran Forum Member

Dude i am sorry u hear that! but dont u learn?? not being funny but u have got no one to blame but urself!

YES ur friends dont mind u using that term BUT other people DO! and u r a fool if u dont undertand that!
    Edited by: Imran

9. WBR

wbr Forum Junkie

thats bad news rich unluckey mate

10. N1CK Forum Junkie

ho poo! thats a tad on the harsh side [8(] introduce your manager to tim westwood and say it was actually him not you, as you were away on holiday and had your evil twin tim standing in for you at the time! so clearly you had nothing to do with it :thumbup:

serious tho thats harsh [8(]

11. Dub20vt Forum Member

sorry to hear that rich. [8(]

thought the proper route was 2 warnings then it's 3 strikes you're out [:s] might be worth giving citizens advice bureau a ring and asking them.

12. mk2driva Forum Member

That kind of things a lot of sh1t. It happened to my m8 - albeit in a crappy aprt time job. He made a joke wit sum dude who is black (they both were havin a laugh and the comment was takin as a laugh by the black guy) and manager overheard - manager bn tos$er took disciplinary action and he got dismissed despite the fact no offense was cuased.
    ur situ is slightly diff. it seemed a minted job.

13. alby Forum Junkie

racist remarks or not they still have to follow the procedures dont they?

14. N1CK Forum Junkie

dont they give you 3 strikes? [:s]

15. AndrewF Forum Addict

c'mon rich, its never smart to make any racial comments anytime any place esp in a workplace, even if they're meant toungue in cheek.

you haven't a leg to stand on...you're out. racial stuff is taken very seriously.

i do feel for you though, you're just gonna have to start job hunting.

16. prof Forum Addict

quick send them a picture of you kissing rags

seriously, wha ta nightmare [:^(]

17. Rahul Forum Junkie

'do', you mean

18. Grayham8v Forum Member

You should have said you were practicing speaking spanish

The spanish word for black is "negro" which is actually where the term nigga comes from.

19. monza 16v Forum Member

Doesn't work like that.
    Thats like saying you can punch your manager twice but do it again and your out.
    Sorry to hear about that rich.

20. jjarvis Forum Junkie

I'm sure Rich doesn't need to be told that he's f**ked up.

Cut him a bit of slack guys