*ive over revved the mk1*

Discussion in 'Engines' started by Riley, Jan 26, 2004.

1. Riley

Riley Forum Addict

im worried,does it have a limiter built in to the ecu? didnt know that,if so whats it cut in at?
    and should it have a (centrifugal)limiter on the rotor arm?
    if it was a backfire with just hitting limiter,could it have damaged the gauge,capilary by the way.
    erm,nomaybe not [:$]

2. dUff

dUff Administrator Admin

Rev limiter is 7200 in the valver ECU, i would get that dash light and buzzer working if i were you. I suppose you could take it to a garage and ask them to check the pressure, but a oil and filter change can increase the oil pressure

3. mark25 Forum Junkie

the capilary would normally fail totally, by leaking, rather than partly to give a wrong reading as you have. And being as you have other symptoms, like bangs.....
    Sorry to say it's more likely to be the actual oil pressure rather than the gauge reading low.
    M.

4. chrismc Forum Junkie

Thats a mis-quote from the magazine then mate....

They're using that term to descibe worn out tappets & tappets only [8(] , but it is UNIVERSALLY known amongst car types that if an engine develops a death rattle, this is synonamous with the bottom end knocking....before it goes bang....hence "death rattle"

5. Jettin' Forum Member

And people thinking that they know what black ice is as well. Most ice is simply ice, its takes certain conditions to create black ice.

Anyone interested?

Thought not, ill get me coat......

6. jake Forum Member

I am! I figured black ice was just normal ice (ie water below 0deg. C) that people who werent concentrating didnt see and so they it was black and they couldnt possibly have seen it, and therefore wasnt there fault that they pitched the company mondeo downside up in a hedge.

7. Jettin' Forum Member

For the record, black ice is created by ice freezing on the road during the night (normal ice), the next morning the sun shines very low and ice starts to melt on the road. The black ice bit is that there will be shadows from trees and other stuff that blocks the sunlight and stops the ice from melting, therefore an otherwise normal road that has defrosted will have shadows that have ice upon them, as the area is in a shadow you cant see it very well and you assume the road is fine but there will be areas of 'black' ice.

8. Riley

Riley Forum Addict

think this topics come to an end

9. jake Forum Member

Sorry Riley......

10. Jimmy Begg New Member

Neil,
    who did the work on the block? Did you replace the Rings 20k ago?

"replaced all the rings and oil scrapers about 2k ago!!"

11. Riley

Riley Forum Addict

no probs jake,
    replaced rings and scrapers my self 2000 miles ago,ran it in for about 500 miles.
    Edited by: riley

12. fthaimike Forum Addict

[:^(] hope you sort it

13. Jon Olds Forum Junkie

14. Jon Olds Forum Junkie

From my experience, these motor's will take 8000rpm
    regularly if they're properly built. (and not worn)
    The valve springs may bounce earlier. Never come across oil pump problems. Poor oil pressure yes. The only bottom end weakness is knocking the big ends out, occasionally. Use good oil. If in doubt, take the sump off and have a look, its only a couple of hours work.

15. Riley

Riley Forum Addict

cheers,what do i look for,it still drives and pulls the same with no apparent noises.the only oil ive used is quantum.thinking of replacing the pump for peace of mind,will a 2.0 pump go on and give any advantage?
    cheers again.

16. fthaimike Forum Addict

riley

Just remembered, was driving home from work last year & i glanced at the fuel pressure & it was reading slightlly low then my buzzer came on so i parked up, started car again & pulled into a near garage while oil pressure was on half.....then it dropped to about 20....called tsr & explained situation as i was only about 1 to 2000 into running in this new engine and was told not to drive the car so i got it towed down to them & later found out it was a faulty oil pressure sender [xx(] , still it wasnt worth the risk of damaging the new engine.
    I run the 2.0 oil pump which must help?

17. The Pig Forum Member

I seriously doubt you did enough damage with one trip to the rev limiter to have lowered the oil pressure, suspect it just backfired

Before you do anything else I would suggest you change the oil and filter and see if it helps.

If not, check the gauge and sender before dropping the sump. The shock of the backfire could have dislodged some debris and partially blocked the oil pick-up mesh but I think this is unlikely.

18. Riley

Riley Forum Addict

v true mike,hell dont want to damage any motor,especially something like yours :p
    can any 1 tell me what pump would go straight on?
    whats the advantage,more flow or pressure?

pig,im gonna do as you say and maybe change the pump at same time,then i know the oil,filter,pump are all good.
    gonna do a compression test to but it should be ok really.
    dont ya just love the process of elimination :lol:

Edited by: riley

19. GVK

GVK Paid Member Paid Member

20. Riley

Riley Forum Addict

gvk,what the hell are you doing going on holiday when im damaging my car [:^(] :lol:
    the shells etc seemed fine when i did the rings,do you think this is the most likely reason for the drop in pressure.
    gonna have a look today>>starts gettin wrapped up<< [:D]