January Photo Comp

Discussion in 'Photography - general' started by antinkariba, Jan 13, 2011.

1. antinkariba

antinkariba Forum Member

So then guys, the winner of last months competition (the controversial one :lol:), Dooby has chosen the topic of Sunset/Sunrise.

RULES:

1) If you've signed up to the forum, you can enter.

2) Photos to me (antinkariba) by Monday 31 January please. They can be PM'd, or e-mailed (PM me for my address), or you can PM me the link to where it's hosted.

I will acknowledge receipt of the photo within 24hours; if I don't, chase me with a PM.

3) JPEG format only, at 72dpi.

The limit will be 1024 pixels width and/or height.

4) If possible please strip the exif data from the picture, this makes it an anonymous entry. This can be done in Photoshop by "saving it for web & devices".
    If you are unable to do this, or resize it, don't worry - sent me the photo anyway, i'll sort it out.

5) The photo should be one taken from now, ie. the start of the competition, not something you've already done.

6) A small to moderate amount of Photoshopping is allowed. So sensible cropping and adjustments of levels, for example, will be tolerated; as will cloning (if you're merely getting rid of small imperfections).
    This is a photo contest, not a Photoshop contest.

Lets all make this a good one, the past comps have been brilliant and we have had some fantastic photos!

2. DOOBY

DOOBY Banned

That was one of the main reasons that I wanted to add 3 briefs, so peeps couldn't, or indeed find it hard to pull a picture from their archive.

How can it be proven that the picture is recent if the information is stripped?

Anyway's, I hope the challenge is set for all that enter this months contest and I really hope we all get the opportunity to see the sun to capture it well enough to snap great images.

Here are some I took last year which I hope, will inspire you guys.

Sunset
    Sunrise
    Sunset
    Sunrise
    Sunset
    Sunrise
    Sunset

3. antinkariba

antinkariba Forum Member

We rely on sportsmanship!

Its always been fine int he past, besides one can tell if a picture has not been taken by that individual!

4. stella

stella Forum Junkie

Indeed, we do rely on sportmanship. :)

The opposite side of the coin - and the reason why on many forums data is removed - is that if the EXIF is left in, the pictures are fairly identifiable, so someone could get all their mates voting for them, regardless of how good or bad the picture is.

As stated before, it's only a fun competition and not worth getting hot under the collar about.

Ant - if the EXIF has been removed, how can you tell if the picture has been taken by someone in particular? By looking at their style? Or by some form of black magic? :lol:

5. WEZ

Wez Official Friday thread starter

yeah, I never understood why exif data should be removed, it only really tells what camera and what settings was used, and I haven't a foggiest what cameras everybody have, alot of you probably have the same dslr's

6. DOOBY

DOOBY Banned

It also has a date & time stamp Wez. If you click on my gallery, which takes you to my Panoramio hosting page, click on any picture and on the right side of the page, you will see "Extra Information" Click on that and you'll see the extra data.

7. mark25 Forum Junkie

It needs to ba anonymous, take Novembers comp, my photo had the most votes, until Ant tipped everyone off (after your comment;)) that one of the photos that looked like one of mine, wasn't mine...

That comment changed the voting pattern dramatically and pic 2 started getting loads more votes and went on to win.

8. antinkariba

antinkariba Forum Member

Sorry Mark, I didn't realise that I did that.... I do apologise. I had no intention on changing the way voting went..

I dont think I did have an influence on it no one knows which photos are which.

Last edited: Jan 14, 2011
  9. DOOBY

DOOBY Banned

My initial impression is, people don't like you?[:s]

Why on earth would they change their voting knowing that it was your photo?[:s]

My take on this is, it was a race to the post and unfortunately, you got beat!

I noticed the voting pattern on Decembers, that some left their voting until the last couple of days. It was obviously a one horse race anyway! [:D] Now come wipe the smirk off my face :lol::lol:

10. WEZ

Wez Official Friday thread starter

Mark and dooby, neither of your comments/points actually help with the case of removing exif data though, the date and time if anything should be left in to enforce the rule of taking the photo after competition date. I think thats why I didn't bother with it when I ran the competition.

11. DOOBY

DOOBY Banned

That's what's been my point all along, Wez. I raised that question in another thread.

12. Funky Diver Forum Member

The only fair way to have the EXIF data included would be to send the original picture to Ant for verification along with the entered photo. That way a correlation between taken date, and photoshop mods can be made.

But it means extra work for Ant.

13. 1550samn Forum Member

or...... and im just putting it out there....... we could just leave it the way it is and stop throwing dummys on the floor?????????? :lol:

14. StuMc

StuMc Moderator and Regional Host - Manchester Moderator

Precisely...I`ve never stripped the EXIF from any of my entries...

(Mainly because I don`t know how to... [:$] :lol:)

15. stella

stella Forum Junkie

Now then, boys! Have I got to come and bang your heads together? :lol:

As already said, it's a lighthearted competition, so please don't get too bogged down with rules and arguing over EXIF or anything else.

All this is done by volunteers and I know Ant has a busy life with his job, his cadets and his photography, so let's give him an easy ride (especially as if we upset him too much, I might have to take over again if he walks out ;))

16. faithless

faithless CGTI Regional Host

since you have picked this for a topic it's done nothing but rain or be cloudy and dull....

thanks was nice up till then :lol:

17. DOOBY

DOOBY Banned

We're all in the same boat dude. 2 weeks to submit a decent photo?? Doesn't seem long enough though! lol

18. DOOBY

DOOBY Banned

I'm up nice and early today and was going to go out and grab some sunrise pics over Derbyshire but guess what?

Overcast! [:^(]

19. faithless

faithless CGTI Regional Host

20. antinkariba

antinkariba Forum Member

That's a fantastic shot Si!