Jetta mk2 conversions

Discussion in 'Jetta/Vento/Bora' started by Ditchyboy, Aug 4, 2011.

1. Ditchyboy Forum Member

Right so i have seen a cheap, solid looking Jetta project that was a 1.6 but has no engine or gearbox. SO i was just wondering if people could advise how easy a few ideas i have are:

1: as i havent finished my mk2 golf 8v gti - AUQ 20vt i could use this engine and all parts i have built up to put into the jetta providing all parts will fit otherwise they will go to waste, so how much that does fit a mk2 fit a jetta? Are the front ends the same or near as damn it? Then this would leave my mk2 as an 8v, could go for throttle bodies to keep bay more standard.

2: Carry on with the mk2 conversion as planned and use the 8v gti engine and box in the Jetta. I do not know if this is an easy / straight forward conversion either hence the questions.

3: Ideal and my preferred option, carry on with the golf conversion and turn the Jetta into a daily with good economy, so basically i mean diesel power, which i would love to do. So which diesel engines fit best? I would prefer a mk4 150bhp tdi but would the mk3 tdi or polo 1.4 be a better or easier option?

4: Least prefered option, how easy is a VR6 transplant from a rado / mk3?

Thanks

Michael

2. skoda4x4 Forum Member

i was told that anything from the b pillar onwards panel wise is exactly the same so the bay is also a mk2 golf part.

as for making them diesel most often people go for the mk3 golf engines and the pd engines are an involved conversion and not as easy as mk3 golf diesel swaps, check edition 38 for lots of engine swaps for jettas

3. StuMc

StuMc Moderator and Regional Host - Manchester Moderator

They are identical, so anything you can do to a Mk2, you can do to a Jetta.

As for your options;

1) Is the 20v already fitted in the Mk2 (albeit unfinished)? Would seem daft to rip it all out, only to do it all again in the Jetta. If it`s not fitted yet, then this might seem the `easy` option since you`ve got all the bits already.

2)Pretty much depends on the above...if the 8v is already out of the Mk2, then sticking it in the Jetta would be really simple.

3)As Skoda says, Mk3/Passat TDI would be the easiest diesel conversion (pretty much plug and play if it`s a later CE2-fuseboxed Jetta), and with a few simple mods can see decent power with tonnes of torque. Should be awesome in a light shell like the Mk2/Jetta.

4) VR transplant into the Jetta would just as easy/difficult as it would be in a Mk2, so read up on some Mk2 VR threads.

Hope that helps. :thumbup:

4. Ditchyboy Forum Member

Thanks for opinions guys.
    Stu the 8v is half out the gold but easy to leave in if I wanted,would probably still take it out and paint it,change some parts.
    So the G60 brakes etc will fit the same?what about rear beam,is that the same?

Is the mk3 diesel a good engine then?I thought they might all be a bit old! Would it be an easy job if I got a full donor car?
    Would it make the front end too heavy to handle well?

Thanks again

5. StuMc

I`m 99% sure the rear beam will be the same.

The Mk3 diesel is a pretty good engine. Nice and strong and easily tunable. Makes for a decent Mk2/Jetta conversion for not a lot of money. Good for a daily since you`ll easily see mid/high-40s mpg. The engine isn`t that heavy really, certainly no more so than a VR.

Definitely best to get a donor car, so everything you need is there. Should be able to pick one up fairly cheap, and make most of the money back when you break the rest of it.

6. rubjonny

rubjonny Administrator Staff Member Admin

everything from the rear suspension forwards is the same, beam, shocks, doors, arch/side trims bay etc. only different parts are the body after the rear doors, headliner, exhaust back box and rear bench. plus the obvious stuff like the lights, but these unbolt and golf stuff fits

Last edited: Aug 5, 2011
  7. Ditchyboy Forum Member

is the mk3 / passat tdi and an easy conversion? can you just use the mk2 or mk3 mounts / subframe? also what were the differences in the engines? did they do different specs or just 90bhp? Would i use the fuel tank and pump etc from the same car as well?

8. rubjonny

mk3/passat tdi lump bolts right in either using the mk3 subframe and mounts + brackets, or swap on mk2 brackets. if you keep the tdi cable shift gearbox though you need corrado/passat or g60 brackets so it would be easier to drop it in on the mk3 subframe. you would still need corrado/passat front bracket though, unless you swap the front engien carrier for a corrado vr6, or high spec toledo/passat.

afaik all the tdi lumps are the same, but im no oil burner expert! the tank, pump, filter carrier, water separator (if fitted) etc and lines will all fit :)

9. StuMc

They are both 90bhp. In the Passat it is designated `1Z`, but in the Mk3 it`s `AHU`. Identical engines though, with just few ancillary differences and/or wiring/pipework routing.

You can swap in the larger injectors from the later Mk4 version (which is again virtually the same engine, but would be a harder conversion) for an easy 20bhp power hike (I say `easy`...it`s a nasty job... :lol:)

Last edited: Aug 8, 2011
  10. Ditchyboy Forum Member

Can i remove the full front end from the mk3 tdi with subframe, suspension, wheels with engine on complete from the car and put it straight into the mk2 (golf / Jetta)? If i do this does the mk3 rear beam and suspension bolt onto the mk2 as well? As this is surely the best way to have the suspension etc the same front and rear. Is the the best way if i have a mk3 donor? just take it all out and put in the mk2? Can i make the mk2 clocks work with the mk3 tdi easy enough? what about the MFA etc? or will i be better using the mk3 dash and clocks etc or is this a pain to fit. Will i have to get the ECU de-coded to run mk2 stuff? I will use the mk3 TDI fuel tank and pump and lines as well, i will also try to make use of the exhaust etc as i want it to be a cheap project.

sorry for all the questions, i look forward to getting any advice soon

Thanks

Michael

Last edited: Aug 11, 2011
  11. Ditchyboy Forum Member

Any help guys?

12. rubjonny

that will work except the front engine carrier wont fit, mk3 golf/vento tank & rear beam will swap over but no point with the beam as it'll be the same as yours anyway. estate/passat tank and beam no good to you. afaik all mk3 diesel tank/lines/filter etc the same so if you get a passat donor you can get the bits u need from scrappy. mk2 tank and lines from a carby model will prob be ok with some tweaks but you have to mess about cleaning it all up

i wouldn't bother with the suspension as it probably wont be any better than what you have, though if your stuff is all buggered the shocks at least will be of use. springs no good as the dnor will be a heavier car so wont be right for a mk2. the front wishbones etc all fit but this will make the car wide track so bear that in mind.

not sure about mk2 clocks, i do know that diesel usdes a different rev counter feed, i think if you have mk2 diesel clocks they'll work with the mk3 tdi signal from the alternator. petrol mk2 clocks aint gonna work tho and also neither will the mfa properly without a revo signal.

mk3 immobiliser is dead easy to wire in if fitted :thumbup:

13. Ditchyboy Forum Member

Ok,thanks for advice.bit of a pain then as donor is a mk3 tdi estate so tank etc no good.should I keep the pump to put in another mk3 tank?the suspicion on the mk3 is lowered so was hoping to use these on mk2 as they are pretty new.any good?

14. rubjonny

im not sure if the tdi has an electric pump? but if it does whip it out and pop it into a mk3 tank when you get one. as i say any D, TD or TDI mk3 one will do. petrol mk3 will fit too but again still gotta make sure its clean.

15. Ditchyboy Forum Member

I googled and found some mk2 mk4 engine swaps with 5 speed boxes and they all seemed to suggest it bolted pretty much straight in?!the mk3 sounds an easy swap but what extra is needed to fit mk4 130 or 150 tdi engine?
    Thanks

16. turbotommy Forum Member

No in tank pump with a mk3 TDI,just a gauge sender & a fuel pick-up,a mk2 one would do really (i think mk2 1.3 versions are the same actually)
    I "think" you'll have more wiring issues with a PD 130/150 than a 1Z or AHU,BUT the extra performance they offer might be worth the extra work/cost.
    Both would be great in a mk2 (must build me one some day lol)

17. rubjonny

have to be carefull with mk4 engines, some one work easily with mk2 mounts due to the way the turbo is arranged. wiring looms i can do for you if need be :)

18. Ditchyboy Forum Member

Is that to do with different engine codes jonny?or is it pot luck?

19. rubjonny

20. sinister g40 New Member

pretty sure i bought the jetta you are talking about!

got it for 50, the shell and interior is mint, im sticking in an abf on throttle bodies,
    with air ride to come at a later possibly!