JOM coilovers

Discussion in 'Mk3' started by BOB 79, Oct 1, 2010.

1. BOB 79 Forum Member

Hi there , just wanted to know if anyone has fitted JOM coilovers on there mk 3. Are they any good, i`m on a bit of a budget so can`t really go for top of the range coilovers. Also what else should i get with them to make the ride a bit better. Or if anyone knows of a better set out there. cheers people.

2. neil kaye Forum Junkie

got them on my mk2,personally dont like them,they were noisy from new and iv had better handling with the normal spax shockers with lowering springs
    maybe others have had a better experience

3. StuMc

StuMc Moderator and Regional Host - Manchester Moderator

The same coilovers seem to come under several names (JOM, Hottuning, Jamex, and a few others).

I`ve got the Jamex branded ones on my Mk3, and they are a bit crashy/noisy (I am running pretty low though).

As with anything, you get what you pay for, and for 200 delivered I couldn`t really complain, but there are better options out there for a similar budget. :thumbup:

4. drunkenalan Paid Member Paid Member

i was considering jamex stu, but if there are better alternatives for a similar amount of shillings, ill hold off for now

5. StuMc

StuMc Moderator and Regional Host - Manchester Moderator

Their aren`t many better options of coilovers at that budget (and as I say, they all seem to be exactly the same items, regardless of name), but a decent set of matched shocks/springs should come in at around the same price. :thumbup:

6. Matt82

Matt82 Forum Addict

i dont see why youd buy anything other than the gmax -20mm kit for a mk3. its plenty low enough and the ride is what the oe ride should have been.

low enough that you cannot get fingers between top of wheel and arch

7. drunkenalan Paid Member Paid Member

the gmax kit is ok then matt?

8. robertGTi3

robertGTi3 Forum Member

had them on my mk3 golf GTi for about 45 minute, took them off went back and got my money back, stay away from them :thumbd:

9. BOB 79 Forum Member

I`m looking at dropping my car about 60 mm. i was looking at the jamex coilovers aswell. didn't want to pay more than about 250 for a set though.

10. hypojam Forum Member

No complaints from me, ive been running the budget special coilovers on my astra for 30k miles now and on my track golf for abit too, i dont run them low, quite high up if anything and they are fine, quite a hard ride but overall very good in my opinion and experience

11. hypojam Forum Member

both the my astra and golfs coilovers were around 150 delivered from ebay

12. MK1-Tron

MK1-Tron Forum Member

Got Raceland coilovers on my mk3 daily running lower than ideal for a daily. Been on for 25k and have no leaks but they are a bit crashy but i don't get any noise from them. Spring collers are alloy where some expensive shocks are plastic (possibly less prone to sieze / pick up) if you do get coilovers don't be shy with greasing the threads!

13. Matt82

Matt82 Forum Addict

ive put them on a fair few cars. the biggest issues is that when they say -20mm or -40mm they really actually mean a lot more.

-20mm on the mk3 kit is actually really low and the -40mm kit on the mk4 is boarderline too low.

the damping is very well judged and feels practically OE. ive fitted them to lots of cars without issue and recommend them without question

14. BOB 79 Forum Member

thanks for the info

15. tomscotlandt New Member

I'm running JOM coilovers and I'm happy with them. For less than 200 notes delivered thats pretty damn good value so long as you dont expect perfection. I didn't, but I was pleasantly surprised. Not too bouncy, not noisy either.

16. mulucca New Member

Suspension Probs

Hi All

I am a new Joiner and own a mk3 VR6 Golf 96 with some standard upgrades.

Unfortunately my last upgrade was to the suspension which i fitted some ebay Jamex Suspension Kit which has caused me no end of problems.

Firstly the whole car rattles now which maybe related to the mounts/bearing etc and I will know for sure over the weekend as i intend to replace the front and back. It has also started to squeal but i cant pinpoint it yet so not sure if susp related. On the rears I have now got deep cuts in the inner walls of the tyres where the strut cup is sitting on the tyre (the wheels are standard tyres 205x15x55). Don't know how it passed the MOT but now when i drive it i half expect the rears to blow :o(.

Options if the mounts dont help I think are Spacers (possible roll arches), new Coilovers, lower profiles? My pref is new coilover and thinking of either Gmax or the Hottuning Ta Technix ones as seems soem people have had some success with em

Apologies for the long post

Love this motor and dont want to sell/scrap it so any help will be appreciated.

M

17. King_Jay Forum Member

I run my mk3 on Jom coilies and i think for the money you can't complaint at all. Mine's dropped about 80mm so just about as far as you can go befor stuff starts scrapin on the road but i have no problems. :thumbup:

18. Richard Mk2

Richard Mk2 Paid Member Paid Member

Been speaking to a few people lately regarding the JOM coilovers, and tbh most of the feedback ive had has been positive.

My MK2 isn't a track car, nor a daily. Just a weekend and show car really which rarely see's the bad weather!

Ive got around 180 to spend on new suspension, and thought the JOMs would be good for handling and going low.

Should i or not ? [:[]...

19. CovGTi Forum Member

20. Stewy

Stewy Paid Member Paid Member