Juddering when accelerating ????

Discussion in 'K-Jetronic OEM injection' started by trackdaygtimk2, May 12, 2016.

1. trackdaygtimk2 Forum Member

All, help is again needed

Today I took the car to have the co checked at a garage but I guess the car didn't like being in a main dealer !

Drove their fine but whilst idling with the exhaust analyser up its bum it started to idle funny and then cut out, then wouldn't start but after leaving it for a while and give it some revs it did, seemed chocked up but not sure

Left the garage , without co being checked as I just wanted to get home , when pulling away it was bucking like a horse , seemed fine when up to speed but evey now and again it would do it, almost like fuel starvation

New plugs recently fitted , new fuel filter also

I did however on my way to the garage put 20 shell super in the tank ?????

Any ideas people ????

Please help

2. blis Forum Member

People will need engine specs..

Could be anything from poor spark, to poor fueling, wrong plug order to a faulty sensor, or even bad fuel or delivery of it.

Pictures and video really help get an idea of what may have gone wrong and a detailed history of change between the time it was fine and not.

Someone will nail it, we just need to find the right hammer to use!

3. trackdaygtimk2 Forum Member

sorry for lack of car info.

engine is 1.8 KR GTI.

been reading a few threads about people with similar problems and i am going to start by replacing the fuel pump relay.

Also took out the in tank pick up pump out yesterday and noticed a few strange things, firstly the filter for the pump had fallen off into the bottom of the tank, secondly the rubber hose that is inside the tank on the inlet fuel pipe is perished and the third oddest thing is a wire going to the pump that is disconnected, there appear to be two red and yellow wires going and two brown wires going into the tank pump.

I have tested the wire and it is live so i have covered it up,the car starts fine with this wire disconnected so could it be separate issue or should i connect it back up ??? (photo below)

Car was an 8v with 16v transplant if that helps ???

[​IMG]

4. blis Forum Member

Kr is a different kettle of fish from what i know, im sure someone will stop by and lend a few ideas

5. BennyC Paid Member Paid Member

Check the plug on distributor I had similar issue and one of the wires had come away in the plug itself. It's easy to check just pull it off and wobble wires you never know. Often something trivial!

6. kwak New Member

Is that the fuel you always use? Same brand? Same gas station?

Before changing parts you might want to try pumping out the tank and putting in what you normally use. A race car crew chief I know has a simple rule: if the car worked and now doesn't, what did you last touch?

Also for the fuel pickup hose inside of the tank that is perished, if it can easily be squeezed between the fingers it might be collapsing.

7. trackdaygtimk2 Forum Member

i have cleaned up the connections on the fuel pump relay and the car now seems to idle smoother, might be my imagination but it does seem better. Have ordered a new relay as well.

Searched high and low to find some submersible fuel hose for in the tank, if you do not use the correct hose it will perish and cause you all sorts of unwanted problems, anyone thinking of doing the same will need the same as below

http://www.advancedfluidsolutions.c...-fuel-hose-type-2190-dn6-r10--spec-2165-p.asp

I have glued the filter back on to the pick up pump, i have tested the pump and it seems ok, pumping about 300ml of fuel within 6-8 seconds.

I will renew the in tank fuel hose replace the relay and take it for a blast !!!

Also think i need to clean the strainer on the fuel pump under the car, is it a case of taking out the whole fuel pump or does the strainer come of on its own ?