Just bought SDI 2ltr. What next

Discussion in 'Mk5' started by twhuk1978, Oct 10, 2010.

1. twhuk1978 New Member

I finally took the plunge and bought a golf. Was originally looking for a Mk2/3 but had recent trouble with the wifes car so went for a safe mk5 on an 07.

Is there anything easy I can do it improve the looks? Unbadged grills etc?

2. StuMc

StuMc Moderator and Regional Host - Manchester Moderator

All the usual minor mods of course; wheels, slight lowering (for looks as well as handling), and de-badged grill, etc

Depends on what your budget, and what you are looking for from it.

Have a look round the net for pics and see what kind of look takes your fancy.

3. twhuk1978 New Member

Thanks Stu. Pretty low budget stuff to be honest. Will be changing the Grill and bumper I think after christmas. Get some new wheels too!

4. RIP-MK3 Forum Addict

I personally would sell up and try and get a TDI, really not keen on the SDI engine.

mk5's are really nice cars though - so if you do spend cash I would put it on making it look better (they can look really nice quite easily) not on going faster as you won't get much bang for your buck trying to tune an SDI

5. twhuk1978 New Member

I took out mine and I TDI straight after it on a test drive on the same route. I didn't think here was much difference to be honest except the additional 2000 and 20,000 miles on the TDI. Another reason for the SDI was economy. I do 300 miles a week and now getting this for 25.

More on the noise. I have had the bonnet up and the noise seems to be happening when the engine moves i.e. touch the throttle. Does this sound like an engine mount/rubber catching issue? Pretty sure it is nothing to worry about, just a bit annoying some times

6. tobyk

tobyk Forum Member

Don't think I've ever heard anyone say there isn't much difference between an SDI and TDI, plus the TDIs are generally more economical!

But, you are happy and that is of course what matters.

Have you got any big plans for it or do you just want little mods to tidy it up a bit?

7. Brookster

Brookster Paid Member Paid Member

SDI is NASP

TDI is TURBO

big difference

8. tobyk

tobyk Forum Member

Go read my post again :p

9. Dan W

Dan W CGTI Regional Host

Tdi is WAY faster, you'll notice the lack of grunt on motorways and long uphill drags, not much you can do to get any more out of it either. I'm with Leon - sell it and get a TDI lol

10. twhuk1978 New Member

Just a few minor things to tidy up. Debadged grill, new wheels, possibly eyebrow on the lights and maybe a GTI front bumper if I can afford it after Christmas (3 kids pressies come first).

To be clear I didn't mean I didn't find any difference between the TDI and SDI. I didn't find enough to go for the more expensive, higher milliage TDI I took out the same day.

I have no credit history (not bad history) so was limited to where I could buy from/get credit from so these were the only Golf's they had. The only car I wanted was a black MK5 and they had the two.

11. RIP-MK3 Forum Addict

fair do's. Gti front bumper improves the mk5 no end - will look great with that on there (how much is it to get that?)

300 miles for 25 is nice..... ive just gone the other way in economy and feeling the pinch :lol:

12. twhuk1978 New Member

This comes off the back of owning a 2.ltr 16v Auto scenic that was the wifes. That drank fuel, double the cost to get to work and back.

13. gillm

gillm ***** User

mk5s are great , enjoy it ! as for a de badged grille i would not bother as you will still have the notch on the bonnet

14. shaz8389

shaz8389 Forum Junkie

Debadged and improve the looks? I don't get it...

15. StuMc

StuMc Moderator and Regional Host - Manchester Moderator

You rarely do... :lol:

16. tobyk

tobyk Forum Member

I've never really got debadged grilles either... I'm pretty happy to show that I drive a VW!

17. Daboy3000 New Member

Does the gti front bumper fit a pre facelift GT Tdi? or do I need to go with a german copy?

18. coullstar Forum Member

I wouldnt fit a Gti front to a non gti. Only mods I do is lower slightly, some nice wheels and look for the votex front spoiler. Looks much better than the standard effort. With it being black you dont really have to worry to much about the black trim as well.

Here my old Tdi with the votex front and darker front lights. It just needed lowering.

[​IMG]

19. Willowraf Forum Member

just to add a twist... If you need anything doing on photoshop just ask matey.:thumbup:
    [​IMG]