just changed my gearbox oil and.........

Discussion in 'Transmission' started by vdubya53, Jun 30, 2004.

1. vdubya53 Forum Member

not alot came out!!! bought me'sel 2l of box oil,a drain tray and a 17mm hex socket ( and a haynes manual) ok the car wasnt on level ground (nose slightly down) opened up plug and about a pint came out!!!!! noticed when i bought it last week it had a drip on the plug and it jumps out of 5th ( apparently a sign of low box oil i read on here) . cleaned up both the drain and refill plugs/threads and made sure they were in ok. saves messing around i put a funnel in the speedo hole and put the oil in there. im a dirty boy now so going for a scrub and a drive later :) mikey

2. mattwelcer

mattwelcer Forum Member

What car is it???

Also what do you mean by 'speedo' hole? Both the drain and filler plugs use the same 17mm hex socket to my knowledge (depending on car, both my Mk3 Passat and Mk2 Polo were the same and think my Golf Mk3 GTI is).

I'm hope the 'speedo' hole doesn't refer to a coloured rubber plug?? If it does then you may not have filled your gearbox up at all but poured your oil into the clutch :(

If you want to be certain post up some more info about the car etc. and where you actually put the gearbox oil.

3. TheSecondComing Forum Addict

He means the speedo cable hole, you can fill them through there. If it jumps out of fifth because it was low on oil you have melted the bearing, and will be needing a new 5th gear pair - adding oil won't fix it.

4. vdubya53 Forum Member

bugger! only had the car 10 days! [:^(] TSC is right - im new to waterpumpers but have had aircooled for years- im not wooden :lol: mikey

5. vdubya53 Forum Member

fortunately a box full (of correct type and amount) of oil has cured it!! fingers crossed:)mikey