just lost 30 bhp on my 45's

Discussion in 'Carburettor' started by racer66, Jul 8, 2011.

1. SKI

ski Forum Member

Think mr.H lives down near plymouth??

I live near exeter :).

2. mr hillclimber Club GTI Supporter and Sponsor

I do indeed. The rollers and dyno are in Saltash. .on the Plymouth / Cornwall boarder. Don't come down this week tho. .Unless you can bring some extra hours to put in each day for me!:lol:

3. SKI

ski Forum Member

I would like to pick your brain sometime :lol:

4. racer66 Forum Member

5. mr hillclimber Club GTI Supporter and Sponsor

That'll be more like it... Pete Morgan is one of the good guys.

Ah so its a 1900... Lots of scope for more grunt, but as yr winning...

6. racer66 Forum Member

I was led to believe from John M that its still 1800, just slight oversized wossner pistons.

Well I guess the power needs sorting whatever as I have lots to think that it could gain more...

oh and i like the winning, but need to chase those Integra's more!

Last edited: Jul 14, 2011
  7. mr hillclimber Club GTI Supporter and Sponsor

Oh it can gain more!

25hp do it do you think?! [:^:]

What you have is not bad tho.

8. racer66 Forum Member

Yeah, that would be good. Just need to know what jets to use (prob back to old ones) and the timing. I just dont see how nt-r struggled to get more from it? Not much to tweak and hardly a complicated engine???

9. Toyotec

Toyotec CGTI Committee - Happy helper at large Admin

Guys . We have to be careful with simply quoting numbers when there is a lot of information that can be analysed intelligently.
    Jason knows PMR as reputable, However SRR is a very reputable test centre and Novetec-R did a very good job on the carb jetting based on the AFR plot.
    I would not be surprised that this level of AFR control will be very hard to improve on as it would seem to me it is already on LBT for this engine spec. If NTEC-R knew how to adjust for that , then surely they would know how to spin a dizzy to be at MBT some where in the engine speed range.
    This one of my reasons for suggesting there is very little in this hardware.
    It also makes it fair to everyone who generated dyno plots under whatever conditions or work pressure.

Racer66, Integra B18C1/6 engines are a different story and out of your class @ 1600-1800 8v I recall. Looks like you need the help of extra valvage me thinks :lol:.

Dynoplot Summary

The tests done between April 2010 and now do give further clues regarding the output and drive feel of the car.
    I have complied all in one diagram to illustrate some observations.

[​IMG]

• SRR and NTEC-R have similar torque profiles. This is what you shoud feel when accelerating in gear regardless of the number.
      A G force meter can validate this shape.
    • Interesting that after tuning Novatec-R had the same type of torque profile suggesting this is the characteristic of this specific engine. We do not know where the dizzy or the fuelling was set at Surrey Rolling Road. Surely not far off!!
    The main issue I have is why one torque plot is stepped by around 15lbft for the same vehicle performance.
    This of course will inflate the bhp measurement.
    DD dynos actually back calculate torque from retarder power and other variables so either vehicle weight or some power/weight noise had creep into the test conditions. This is inconclusive.

However more light is shed when the plot from PMR is studied.

• PMR plot shows similarity to the NTEC-R plot until 5800 rpm to after 6500 where there is a bump in the torque as circled.
    • This seems to be an inherent issue with Sam Ram machines running certain software. Had this engine been a stocker16v your torque peak would been at 6000 revs and you would have a “170bhp” engine. I am sure a G force meter would not correlate to this torque plot in this area.
    • However in the PMR plot, the level of torque before the skewing does not increase any more than 141lbft at 4800rpm and at the same level as the NTEC-R plot. This leads me to believe this engine is indeed a 135 to 140PS engine as demonstrated on the Novatec test after tuning.
    Based on the many VW dyno days and private work I have been analysing, I think this is still a good lil 8v engine and probably does go like the clappers but I do not think it is a a 165PS engine based on this information. Nor so I think that little tweaks here and there will result in more torque for a faster accelerating vehicle. You would need proper hardware for that.

Lastly.
    If there are terms that have been mentioned which are not understood please say.
    Also brake horsepower is a mathematical product of torque in lb*feet by an rpm ratio on 5252/N.
    If we quote numbers we need to quantify and prove how that will be achieved.
    Maybe useful, if you do not already do so to shift up at 6800-7000, engine out of puff after then!
    Over bore? 82.5mm pistons?

Last edited: Jul 15, 2011
  10. racer66 Forum Member

big thanks again Toyo, taking the time to break things down in to quantifiable terms really helps. I think I just enjoy what I have for now and sort the rest of the car and my driving out! It does go pretty well. I change around 6700, that is what the shift light is set for. 82.5mm pistons sounds familiar too.

Here is the Cadwell footage to see how it drives if interested.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ff3ERBNwCrQ

11. mr hillclimber Club GTI Supporter and Sponsor

Just a quickie. .

The extra 25hp wont come from tweaking this engine along...it would need a re vamp of certain key components.

However, if it has the traditional 304 cam then the peak rpm is a little low...I've had them peak at 7,200 on a similar spec engine. I've seen others peak mid 6's tho, but generally with 7-8hp more. It maybe worth having the cam timing swung, but the lift at tdc setting need recording first and work out a baseline from that.

You have a pm too Alex.

12. Toyotec

:thumbup:
    Will comment on the video.
    Heard soem things in the engine acceleration that correlates to the above plots and perhaps some recommendations.

I see your user name suggests you have a S14a as well.

13. racer66 Forum Member

Hi,

Had the S14a a good few yrs back now, been through a few cars, just never changed the youtube name :)

iirc it has a 296 shrick cam. Can check with Dave Crissle who built the head...

Mr HC thanks will check msg.

14. Mike_H Forum Addict

Nice vid - must book another trackday at Cadwell - love the circuit!

15. tshirt2k

tshirt2k Forum Junkie

I like cadwell too. Technical circuit. Only done it on a bike though.

16. racer66 Forum Member

Just to bump this back up. After a huge help from all here and some great advice from JMR, I have been checking the valve lift and timing more closely.

This is the result from today at SRR.

Back up to last years power, but some torque gains. Almost 162ftlb [:D]

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    ATW
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Mar 20, 2012
  17. Toyotec

Just a quick glance, you gained 5-6lbft over last year @SRR, 500rpm lower (4-5krpm). The rest of the WOT curve was unaltered.

Last edited: Mar 24, 2012
  18. mr hillclimber Club GTI Supporter and Sponsor

Cant say fairer than that Alex.... ;)

19. Mike_H Forum Addict

Great news. Is that with the Dx dizzy fitted now?

20. racer66 Forum Member

Yes mike that is the dx dizzy, so maybe that has helped the bottom end timing as its now on 8 deg adv to 29 on WOT.