K-Jet 8V won't start

Discussion in '8-valve' started by Chapman, Feb 24, 2010.

1. rubjonny

rubjonny Administrator Staff Member Admin

Doh! should be a white one on the oil filter housing, and a brown/blue one on the side of the head :)

2. Mike_H Forum Addict

Yep, that'll do it.

You might be better to run it a little bit and see what it settles down to. Is the car road legal, or are you fixing it up for an MOT? You can always adjust the tickover and see if it responds. If it doesn't, you might still have a small air leak somewhere.

3. Chapman Forum Member

Cheers John. Oil light buzzer is on, hoping it's the switch but I doubt it.

Mike, I'm sorting it out for MOT, there's a little grey smoke on revving so I suppose she is over fueling a little. As the above mentioned oil buzzer I don't want to run it for too long. I did replace all the vac pipes as a matter of course so I know there's no vac leak. I'll get an exhaust on it sort out the oil pressure and get it set up properly, the hard bit is done in getting it running! [:D]

4. Mike_H Forum Addict

TBH I'd investigate the oil pressure buzzer before you do anything else. If it's buzzing below 2000 rpm, it's probably just a wiring fault, but it's better to be sure.

Last edited: Mar 4, 2010
  5. Chapman Forum Member

It starts spot on now every time, runs a little rough warming up but faultless when warm. The buzzer is on as soon as the key is turned so it is either a wiring fault or faulty clocks. Trying to find a fix for bypassing the buzzer but having no luck so far, anyone have any ideas?

6. rubjonny

rubjonny Administrator Staff Member Admin

if you strip the clocks down you can remove the oil warning pcb, its the l shaped one clipped behind the speedo. this will completely disable the oil pressure warning however. if it was me id try a new set of clocks, as it seems the most likly cause

7. Mike_H Forum Addict

Fairly easy to diagnose the fault down to the wiring or clocks, by running different wires to it - it's just a bit of a pain taking it apart to do it. Is everything else on the clocks working ok. If other things are flaky, it's probably an earthing problem I'd think.

Did you test the WUR yet, to see if that's the cause of the rough warm-up?

8. Chapman Forum Member

Ok cheers, I found a set on eBay so bought them straight away. I'll wait for them to turn up and let you know how I get on. Just getting the welding done right now, it's had some crap MOT 'patch ups' in the past (of which I pulled off using a pliers with ease).

The car came with a spare WUR, so it's either been changed already or the previous owner had intentions of doing so. By rough running I mean missing on heavy throttle. Light throttle is fine. Lack of fuel it seems...

9. Chapman Forum Member

Right well I changed the speedo and the oil pressure warning system is now sorted. Yay!