K jet injectors

Discussion in 'Mk1' started by mk2 nas, Sep 2, 2023.

1. mk2 nas Paid Member Paid Member

Hi be strait to the point.
    I’ve pulled all four injectors out (still on the the fuel lines).

If I jump the terminals(relay)to activate fuel pump should I get any fuel out of injectors without lifting the metering head flap.
    Thanks.

2. KeithMac Forum Junkie

I don't think you should get any spray without the metering head flap moving.

There is a 5th injector that may spray some fuel but unlikely.

I used Mercedes fuel injectors on my Mk2 16v, later converted it to EFI (MegaSquirt).

mk2 nas likes this.
  3. mk2 nas Paid Member Paid Member

As I thought they should remain dry when fuel pump runs and should only squirt when air box flap is moved.I have 2 misting one fine jetting and one dribbling.so all four are bad me thinks.the car is 41years old.original doubtful
    But even if they the third set there very old
    I’ve owned it 8 years and not changed them car runs.idles but is getting a bit worse of late so it’s time.
    Just wanted to clarify as I’m not that up on k jet but know the basic functions of how it works but thought weeping injectors can’t be right.

4. KeithMac Forum Junkie

The have to get to a certain pressure before they "crack" open.

5. Cressa Paid Member Paid Member

100% should only work on lifting the air plate and not dribble afterwards.
    Change them and change your fuel filter too, then see what is happening. I bought from Autodoc earlier this year
    I am in the process of testing my pressures after a complete metering head rebuild. These are essential on the kjetronic set up. I've found my WUR is faulty causing me issues.
    Have you ever changed your intank fuel pump and the fuel rotting pipe that joins it?
    Some good info in the kjetronic section

mk2 nas likes this.
  6. mk2 nas Paid Member Paid Member

5BF9A5BA-CC97-427A-AC78-AA6410489247.png C820EEE6-70AA-423B-9C73-D4622EAABD1D.jpeg
    To be honest I think I’ve been lucky for such an old car.it’s always started cold it’s always stared hot(eventually)idle was hard to get right.I’ve never done anything with the fuel system in 8 years of owning it other than a fuel filter(a must)
    Now I’m going to change all injectors becouse I now know their shot.
    Fuel distributer seems good car runs right and feels fast for what it is.
    I am a bit inclined if it’s not broke don’t fix it
    But as long as it’s all good from fuel filter then I’m happy.
    But I know I’m gonna get curious and drop the tank and filler neck
    I’ve done a lot on this car but fuel system was a bit of a no go area lol.but I’m gonna give it some attention over the next couple of months.

Last edited: Sep 3, 2023
  7. mk2 nas Paid Member Paid Member

4 new injectors fitted jump terminals on relay fuel pump runs and injectors all leak.
    I’m at a loss now it seems injectors are getting loads of pressure without the flap being lifted in metering head anyone’s thoughts??

8. KeithMac Forum Junkie

What injectors have you fitted?.

Re-reading your original post it seems your new injectors have a lower opening pressure?.

There's multiple pressures to check in the metering head (control and system pressure).

If your new injectors are not Bosch I'd be very weary they are any good personally.

9. mk2 nas Paid Member Paid Member

New Bosch correct injectors BB03EC49-B659-4B19-8D7A-81CE2BEB8256.jpeg

10. Cressa Paid Member Paid Member

Do you have the top hats for the end of them? Little silver baskets that have the air seal on.
    New ones look good. Atleast you can check that these don't leak. Try them again in separate containers before fitting to make sure all 4 are good in getting fuel and the spray pattern is good

mk2 nas likes this.
  11. rubjonny

rubjonny Administrator Staff Member Admin

if its an older engine it wont need the top hats, easy way to tell is look for the vacuum nipple between ports 3 and 4. if nothing there, you dont need the hats. if you have the port you should have the hats. if you dont have the hats you can just remove the pipe from this nipple and cap either side to disable the system and stop an airleak

mk2 nas likes this.
  12. KeithMac Forum Junkie

There will be a spec for the "opening pressure" of the injectors.

Could be an internal leak in the metering head but seems odd it's worse with new injectors really.

mk2 nas likes this.
  13. rubjonny

rubjonny Administrator Staff Member Admin

mk2 nas likes this.