K-Jetronic on 16V KR - Air Leak?

Discussion in 'K-Jetronic OEM injection' started by spot.ontheroad, Apr 8, 2017.

1. spot.ontheroad New Member

I am new to GTI ownership and new to this forum. I have KR engine with K-jet. It starts fine, goes well but does not idle smoothly. It appears to be running rich. I have previous experience with K-Jet on Audi's which always stalled if you lifted the dipstick out. If they didn't stall upon lifting the dipstick it usually meant there was an air leak somewhere and the mixture had been turned up to compensate. My 16V does not stall when I lift the dipstick out. Does the same follow for GTI's? Should it stall if I remove the dipstick? What I suspect is that there has been/is an air leak and mixture has been richened greatly to compensate. IS this likely and where can I find the procedure for tracking down such a leak?
    Any advice gratefully received.

2. BennyC Paid Member Paid Member

Get co set on it firstly you'll see if its rich or not! Well worth doing and just give it the once over. Service always a good start especially spark plugs these can give a dodgy idle sometimes.

3. spot.ontheroad New Member

Cheers for the reply. Since original posting head gasket has gone - which may have been cause of splashy idle but inspection of valves and plugs suggest mixture more or less right. Will test properly though once all back together. Thanks again.