K04 Hybrid leaking oil

Discussion in '1.8 & 1.8T' started by 5lim5hady, Oct 25, 2023.

1. 5lim5hady New Member

Hi all,

After a bit of advice from you guys, I'm in the final stages of putting a 20v into a Mk2 Jetta and when I began the build I got hold of a rebuilt K04 Hybrid Turbo off a chap on one of the 20v FB forums which I'm using with a Chinafold manifold.

The other week I had to remove the Turbo from the car to fit a Forge Actuator and at the same time I put some oil into the Turbo for initial start up, after this I noticed oil on the garage floor but never twigged it was from the Turbo as it didn't appear again. This weekend I filled the engine with oil and turned it over on the starter with no plugs or injectors to build oil pressure and the next day noticed the oil stain again on the floor.

On further investigation I noticed that it was dripping out from the cold side housing on the Turbo, I have undone the Turbo from the manifold as first thoughts were it was leaking from the oil inlet on top of the Turbo but this is bone dry as is the return line to the sump.

Could the oil be leaking internally within the cartridge, as looking on YouTube and Google this seems to be fairly rare on a rebuilt Turbo?

My other thought is that because I'm using a Chinafold the angle of the drain may be out slightly so the oil is pooling before draining, but I don't believe it is too far off a vertical drop.

Any clues?

Many thanks