K04 hybrids for 1.8T

Discussion in 'Turbocharged, Supercharged or Nitrous !' started by vtraudt, Apr 25, 2011.

1. vtraudt New Member

I know, I ain't no Golf. But you guys seem to deal more with K04s then others (here in the US it is apparently much more common to throw elims and BT on).

Currently running on my B5 A4 1.8T AEB (nDBW/DBC) K03/K04 hybrid on stock fuel, T.A.P. stage 2 chip. Stock internals.

MAF shows 170 g/s, boost 18.5 psi at 4k.

Standing by is GIAC PC16 ECU and 315cc injectors, AFPR, Walbro

In the works is next turbo:
    Thinking (and need input/suggestions):
    K04-15 turbine housing (drop/connections/space etc. ease)
    K04-20 turbine wheel (TT225), some machining on housing to fit?
    K04-20 compressor housing
    K04-28 compressor wheel (RS6), some machining on housing fit?

What options/alternatives also make sense?
    How does the -28 wheel compare with the RS4 -25 wheel?
    Ditto -20 turbine vs. -25 vs. 28 turbine (if they can be fit into -15 hot side)?
    What peak power, mid range torque, turbo lag, spool, boost characteristics can be expected?

I have read here a lot about "K6-2283", but never heard of ti.
    Where is it used (car/engine)?
    Dimensions? Maps?
    How does it compare to RS6 or RS4 wheel?

My goal is to built a high power (relative), very driveable K04 with readily available parts, some machining, drop-in install (hence K04-15 base), little or no modifications, stock internals, running on an 'off the shelf' (= inexpensive (PC16 is $300 or similar)) tune.

Does anyone have the dimensions available for
    - turbine wheels
    - compressor wheels
    - compressor maps?
    (K03, K04-15, K04-20, K04-25, K04-28, K06-2283)

Looking forward to you comments, suggestions, data!!!

2. badger5

badger5 Club GTI Sponsor and Supporter Trader

have you heard of Frankenturbo?
    worth contacting Doug as he makes an in-line hybrid for your platform

3. vtraudt New Member

Certainly! When I started with my 'mix, machine and match' (later learned it is called "hybrid"), I didn't know that this is a quite common practice. Working the forums, Slappy (=Doug, right?) from Franken (which is actually the name of an region in South East Germany, not to be confused with 'Frankenstein'), came up as the de-facto standard for best bang-for-the-buck hybrids.

Basically trying to come up with a decent hybrid (like Slappy) with the means available to me (or gobbled up as needed), that bolts right on, can be run of a stock tune (hopefully, my Giac PC16 works).

Like so many, it all started with a bad K03 (and absolutely no idea about turbos). Out came my same K03 with massaged hot side (clipped, flow improved), rebuilt parts, bit larger than K04-15 wheel and compressor housing machined to fit. Penalty over pure rebuilt: $200. Fun: priceless. Bang for the buck: HUGE!

Stock fuel, K03 turbine won't hold power, boost drops from 18.5 psi at 4k to 10 psi at 6.5k.

Sooo: Grab a K04-15 housing laying around (to ensure drop in fit and ease).
    Ordered the Giac PC16 and 31 lb injectors (largest AEB K04 off the shelf tune for $300).
    Now:
    K04-20 (TT225) turbine into massaged -15 hot side, plus a bit of clipping?
    K04-28 (RS6) wheel into massaged -20 cold side? Too big (for the tune).
    Alternatively, K04-25 (RS4) wheel?

Suggestions, opinions please. Slappy already suggested to basically use TT225 hot side in K04-15, and the TT225 (K04-20) cold side. Larger compressor would be nice, though.

Have a bunch of K27-2970 and K27-3070 laying around, but those wheels seem way to big.

But started to look for a rebuildable TT 225 already. Want the turbo done in the next 2 weeks.