kandahar harrier crash

Discussion in 'Non-car related videos' started by Polog4tracer, Nov 10, 2009.

1. Polog4tracer Forum Member

Vid of the last harrier crash in kandahar airbase, 1 sqn i believe. Came in too fast and too hard, pilot error.
    It had fitted still a sniper targeting pod, a live Paveway IV guided bomb and crv-7 rocket pod with rockets still in there when it crashed in a ball of flame:o. Pilot, when it crashed into runway tried to steer it right as much as possible to avoid a passenger plane nearby, he only ejected once he saw flames around the canopy.
    they dont hover btw to land, as they have SNIPER fitted on the LH strake, so no LIDS capability.

[YOUTUBE]pOUArlaO2pk[/YOUTUBE]

2. coullstar Forum Member

Surely must have been something up there for him to be coming in that fast and at that angle. Why were the guys filming it?
    I bet he was sit there as it was sliding along thinking "oh sh*t, this is not going to be good"

3. Admin Guest

what a school boy error! way to fast!

the plane was engulfed pretty quickly!

another plane we could ill afford to be without.

4. Polog4tracer Forum Member

He would have had a VSI (vertical speed indicator in ft/min) guage and VV (Velocity Vector) in the Head Up display. It looked like he came in too steep. He wouldn't have had any ground proximity warning going off either as his landing gear was down.

Harrier pilots are among the best in the world, if not the best but sometimes things just happen.

We lost two tornados earlier this year aswell in kandahar.[8(]

5. coullstar Forum Member

Yeah we all have off days but most of us dont end up writing off what Im guessing was 40m+ aircraft.

6. Admin Guest

Don't tell me that[:^(] I know you don't like those Tornadoes, but I love them:thumbup: [:$]

7. Polog4tracer Forum Member

Swing Wing Dagger of Death? LOVE THEM!!! I still work them, massively experienced on them now although promotion and therefore a posting beckons so my future is unknown. My only way to stay at coningsby (due to my house) is to go Typhoon unfortunately, but everyone is being sent onto Chinooks at Odiham at mo, doh.

The two tornados that crashed, one on take off - some kind of engine problem so they did a high speed abort but ran out of runway unfortunately. Their standard operating procedures for an emergency like that if they have live Brimstone missiles fitted (which they had) was to eject. The other tornado crash, not too sure on, something like a fire while on the ground or something.

8. POL

pol Forum Member

nasty one. looks like he properly over cooked it.
    i have a memory from years gone by that the pilot/crew were always more valuable than the aircraft due to the amount of training/time required to get them to operational status.

9. fthaimike Forum Addict

I also heard mind that you can only eject a few times as your spine gets knackered......is that true?

10. keith_lemon

keith_lemon Forum Member

on the edge.... also north wales, close to rhyl
    3 times and your behind a desk

11. coullstar Forum Member

Feck if you are ejecting 3 times you'll be behind a McDonalds desk!!!