KE Jet / K Jet in mk1 16V?....

Discussion in '16-valve' started by ManicGTI, Jun 22, 2005.

1. ManicGTI Forum Member

Ok, So I have a K-Jet mk1....and a KE-Jet(?) 2L 16V Passat. The aim being to wack the 9A into the Golf.

I'm getting a bit confused as to what I need for the conversion...Engine wise. Ok, so exhaust manifold is a given, but what do I do about the inj system?

Guides i've seen seem to suggest I need the mk2 golf, (so K-jet), T/B, Metering Head, ECU and ECU loom....? But why?

I know nothing about the differences between KE and K, I don't want to be buying bits for no reason though! Ideally I want to keep as much of the mk1 stuff in there as possible, just to make life easier.

Can anyone shed any light on this? Bearing in mind I already have the full KE set up in the passat (am driving it at the mo!)

Dave
    Edited by: ManicGTI

2. greg s Forum Member

If you've got the full Motronic (Passat) stuff I'd be tempted to fit that. It's
    got knock sensing and other fancy guff. Duff's got it fitted into his mk2 I
    think.

3. ManicGTI Forum Member

So would process of fitting be the same?

The Passat is a K-reg GL Estate, 2L 16V.. I assumed it was KE-jet [:$]. Is Motronic a dif system?.

ie can I still follow the guidelines that the (many!) peeps that have fitted the K-jet system?

On a similar note...Peoplehave said 'use the mk1 loom, ditch the isv'. What loom are they refering to? to use the mk1 ECU and Loom with mk2 metering head and t/b?

If I can do it all with what I already have obv i'd be happiest :)

4. Quasar Forum Member

KE jetronic also has knock-sensing... Dunno which is better overall, though...

5. dUff

dUff Administrator Admin

For ease of fitting use all your mk1 items with a mk2 16v ecu with the mk1 aux air valve.

But use the KE if you can seperate the loom and will run lambda there is only about 5 wires to connect up i can do a guide, ke is good for running on any grade of petrol and getting very simular power k-jet

K jet will give a little more power in the right hands

Depends how good you are with looms and stuff really i guess

6. ManicGTI Forum Member

mk1 items? I would still need mk2 metering head, T/B, and ECU loom though? yay/nay?

hmm.....5 wires sounds simple compared to spending random money on bits n bobs i dont really 'need'. Lambda goes where, welded bracket into exhasut somewhere?

how much are we talking? you have some nice figure on yrs, headwork?

i 'dont think' i'll be too bad, am pretty logical with these kinda things, but have never attempted a conversion before.

7. ManicGTI Forum Member

Wouldn't want to put you out, if you have a spare mo I would be interested see whats involved [:$].

Would be good to have these things to go into FAQ anyway, theres been so many mk1 16v wiring Qs over past X months about time the options were compiled.

No worries if you can be bottomd :), if K-jet is easier maybe i should walk then run etc...

8. flusted Forum Member

I Used the mk1 loom and air bypass valve,then just added the 16v ignition loom and ecu as this only has approx 3 wires to connect.
    The mk1 gti has all the same plugs as the kr 16v except the dizzy plug so that why you use the 16v ignition loom.

9. dUff

dUff Administrator Admin

mk1 items? I would still need mk2 metering head, T/B, and ECU loom though? yay/nay?
    -----------
    You don`t need a mk2 metering head i did a mk1 16v conversion and used all the mk1 bits, you can mod the wiring out of the passat throttle body to work with the mk2 16v ECU it only needs a throttle closed switch for the ISV

hmm.....5 wires sounds simple compared to spending random money on bits n bobs i dont really 'need'. Lambda goes where, welded bracket into exhasut somewhere?
    -----------
    Yeah true if you have all the items you may as well use them all saves some cash and have a system you know did work. Yeah lambda is easy to fit you can get kits to put them on exhaust , i used a kit for a nissan :-)

K jet will give a little more power in the right hands
    how much are we talking? you have some nice figure on yrs, headwork?
    -----------
    Well mine has a standard head and only difference is a corrado ECU with a chip , schrick 260`s and exhaust stuff, You will need to bin the cams and get some KR items or better, i think you only need inlet cam.
    When i took mine to stealth where that figure is from. Vince reckoned it could give another 8bhp if it was running k-jet then you can do the WUR mod and advance the timing more

Depends how good you are with looms and stuff really i guess
    i 'dont think' i'll be too bad, am pretty logical with these kinda things, but have never attempted a conversion before.
    ----------------
    I shall start doing a guide on this as i have lots of pictures and stuff to use from when i did it
    Will have it done friday i reckon

If you do install the lot your have the diagnostic ports for VAG com working so if you have a laptop and VAG com your be able to aid your install buy checking for faults codes etc
    Edited by: dUff

10. ManicGTI Forum Member

Thanks for the tips :)

I'm taking from that that best options are either KE-jet move whole system over, or use all mk1 bits, but with mk2 ECU/ignition loom.

and of course the KR cams.

That shouldn't cost too much, will see whos breaking what and how much they're after and go from there [:D] If i can get for not much then i'll have both systems here in case it goes pete tong....

11. Gareth83 Forum Junkie

do you have a diagram of how you wired this?? ie. what do I need to connect/disconnect.

how does it run without the ISV then?? I know it will be easier but I don't want my car to keep cutting out!! [:$]