kjet playing up

Discussion in 'Engines' started by Squires, Mar 7, 2016.

1. rubjonny

rubjonny Administrator Staff Member Admin

next step is a full fuel pressure test I recon

2. Squires New Member

It's weird, drives spot on, then it will play up after a while, and all I have to do is switch it off then on again and it's fine.

I think it's got to be fuel related as when I jumped the pump relay with wire so it was running constantly, it would still play up even after switching the ignition off an on again so seems electrical?

It's had both pumps swapped for good ones, and the wur, and new injector seals

when I bought it the previous owner changed;
    Tci
    Coil
    Dizzy
    Leads
    Plugs
    Pump relay

I even put a head gasket on it as it had blown when I bought it, think it would have been easier doing an engine conversion.

I'm at my wits end with it as only home weekends to work on the car. Anywhere I could get the fuel pressures checked?

Thanks again rubjohny

3. rubjonny

random one, but when it starts playing up try taking the fuel filler cap off?

4. Squires New Member

Cheers il give it a go

5. Squires New Member

Still the same without

6. rubjonny

ah well, was worth a shot. bit stumped now apart from it being pump failure!

7. Squires New Member

Got me stumped to, it's had new pumps and still does it, it has an old immobiliser fitted the type with a chip you have to press against it, maybe the fuel pump live is being effected by that? I'm clutching at straws now

Last edited: Apr 6, 2016
  8. rubjonny

could very well be. I assume it immobilises the fuel pump? if so it may be its breaking down inside and starts dropping voltage as it heats up. when switched off it cools a bit, and normal service is resumed. this would also explain why it didnt help when the relay socket was jumped.

Though for the above to make sense, the immobiliser would have to be tapped into the fuel wiring after the fusebox. plus in theory if this was the case even with the jumper wire in place the pump should have stopped, but it might still work depending on how the internal logic works or how its wired.

Before you look at that though just have a general inspection of the fusebox, especially the fuel relay and fuse sockets, then drop it down and check out all the fusebox plugs especially the white engine loom and black rear wiring loom plugs, and chase any wires as best you can looking for dodgy joints.

are you bothered about keeping the immobiliser? if not i would rip it all out and repair all the joints where its been tapped in. if you do want to keep it then chase the wiring from it and bypass all the tapped joints with wire temporarily and see if that helps.

also a final straw clutching exercise from me, try unplugging the wur. this one is fed off the fuel pump feed so maybe if its gone inside it could affect pump voltage somehow... check the wiring to it for damage as well while you;'re under the bonnet, plus a general loom check over on everything else

9. Squires New Member

Thanks again John, il remove the immobiliser, it's got to be electrical on the fuel side as it's as if there's an actuator of sone sort resetting once the 12v ign is switched on and off, plus there's no unburnt fuel smell from the exhaust when it does it, so it's getting starved of fuel which makes sense why I can't get above 1/2 throttle yet it idles fine.

Best get tinkering ...again

10. Squires New Member

Immobiliser removed and it hasn't fixed it.
    Main pump gets noisey when it happens (new pump do not a pump fault)

Wiring getting hot still so I checked the lift pump it still runs but I have 11v on the brown and yellow/red wires. Is this right as I assumed brown is earth?

11. MUSHY 16V

MUSHY 16V Moderator Staff Member Moderator

Did you fit a new lift pump in the end as well as the main pump ?

12. Squires New Member

Yes still the same so it has to be a wiring issue

MUSHY 16V likes this.