Kjet vs weber 40s

Discussion in 'K-Jetronic OEM injection' started by S3ALEX90, Jun 2, 2016.

1. S3ALEX90 Forum Member

Hi there! I have a 9A with a kr head and cams ready to go into my car. It came with the orginal kjet and some twin 40s. I was going to use the twin 40s thinking they would be better but after witnessing the valvers at curbourgh still using the kjet I'm now having second thoughts! Is there any benefit to twin weber 40s over the kjet? This is for a track mk1 if that helps.

Thanks
    Alex

2. Ben_s Forum Member

Noise and simplicity are the main benefits I reckon. Simplicity as in there's less to go wrong. They do require fiddling every so often where as kjet once set up properly won't need touching

Sent from my GT-N7100 using Tapatalk

3. Jon Olds Forum Junkie

Much as though I love twin DCOE's (and use them) unless you are going to get them 100% right you may be better sticking with your K Jet unless you have lairy plans for the engine
    Jon

4. Ben_s Forum Member

Good Pont about the lairnyness!

Kjet doesn't play well at idle with lairy cams, what were the ones you got with the car?

5. S3ALEX90 Forum Member

DCOE's ben. I don't really have a plan as of yet. It's more of a "it'll do for now" kinda plan lol. In terms of performance is there any more to be had with the webers?

6. Jon Olds Forum Junkie

If they are setup well possibly, but of the engines largely std, Kjet works well.
    Both my Golf's are on webers, but its not necessarily straight forward to get them right and some RR time with an old guy in charge is what you need.
    Also, consider the dizzy advance curve will be wrong (ie not enough advance, in my experience) using the stock ecu/vac sense line
    Jon

7. S3ALEX90 Forum Member

What ignition setup do you use jon?

8. Jon Olds Forum Junkie

Both are on luminition firing circuits, VW coils and mechanical ('clockwork') advance.

If you do go down the 40's route, pm me and I will help you where I can
    Jon

S3ALEX90 likes this.
  9. notenoughtime

notenoughtime Moderator Moderator

Would 40's not be on the small side for 1.8 16v? I'd be edging towards 45s unless you could machine the choke size to 34-36mm

10. notenoughtime

notenoughtime Moderator Moderator

And a good setup k-jet should be able to keep up with your needs anyway

S3ALEX90 likes this.
  11. Ben_s Forum Member

I meant the cams ;)

12. S3ALEX90 Forum Member

Does k jet require much fiddling with?

13. Ben_s Forum Member

Not really, so long as all the bits are healthy. There's a great guide from Rubjonny in the engine section under stickies on how to set it up.

Once you've got the cams etc fitted, take it to someone like stealth and have the fuelling set up. It's basically a case of setting the fuel pressure which you can do yourself with the correct tools. I took mine to stealth though so they could run it on the rolling road and check the air/ fuel ratios at the top end of the revs. Something you can't do at home unless you have a wideband fitted

S3ALEX90 likes this.
  14. The ANT Forum Member

40s should easily be big enough unless its for a strung out competition engine, group 4 rally cars in the seventies with 2 and 2.3 engines producing nearly 300 bhp were on 45s, too big and you will loose out on power ant torque, you need the smallest ones that are big enough to not be restrictive in order to keep the air speed up going into the engine , I wouldn't bother with carbs anyway, my dad's old lotus elan had dellortos and they were a pain in the neck.

S3ALEX90 likes this.
  15. S3ALEX90 Forum Member

Cheers guys! Decision made, kjet it is!