Knocking suspension

Discussion in 'Chassis' started by oakgreenbeastie, Nov 8, 2003.

1. oakgreenbeastie New Member

I have just recently got my 16v back on the road, I have replaced nearly everything on it front suspension wise, Front wishbones, struts top mounts ,roll bar bushes, eye bar bushes, springs etc. After getting the car back from my nearest 4 wheel alignment place, and now the car actually steers where I want it to go, I noticed a knocking noise coming from the nearside suspension when I accelerated sharply, or when I let my foot off the accelerator sharply too.

Im thinking it may be a loose top mount, which could be likely after having the camber adjusted ,that this might have moved a top mount slightly, which might have felt tightened up correctly,Does this sound feasable or could it be something else like loose rool bar connection rods etc

Any ideas welcome before I get my spanners out

2. Golden Forum Junkie

When you say you replced the wishbones do you mean for standard ones? If so did you fit the thin steel collar in the rear bush before the bolt goes in?

3. oakgreenbeastie New Member

I fitted new wishbones with new bushes fitted, and it looked as though the steel collar was already inside, does a fully made up wishbone new come with the collar fitted inside the bush??? As I said, its only knocking from one side, not both.

After looking at the car, it looks like the roll bar bush clamp bolt has fell out on that side, would that cause movement in the roll bar, thus making a knocking noise???????

4. Golden Forum Junkie

[​IMG]

What you may need is the sleeve shown as item 8 in the above. This goes inside the rear bushafter the wishbone is slotted into the subframe. Without it the bush moves around on the bolt.

5. oakgreenbeastie New Member

YThanks for the help golden, but I popped the bonnet yesterday to discover what the knocking was, it was blatently obvious......I'd forgotten to tighten the battery clamp and the battery was knocking around inside the engine bay........DOH!!!!!!!!!!!!!! [:x]

6. Golden Forum Junkie

LOL, under those circumstances I never mind looking a bit of a [:o)]as long as the faults fixed!