KO4 Eliminator Turbos from ATP

Discussion in 'Turbocharged, Supercharged or Nitrous !' started by ianb, Oct 13, 2006.

1. badger5

badger5 Club GTI Sponsor and Supporter Trader

and not to forget you do have to modify the VF34 to fit.

2. jc.. Forum Member

what do you have to modify? housing clocking and wastegate actuator bracket?

3. badger5

essentially yes if using a JS mani

4. ianb Forum Member

So will the KO4 manifold or TT manifold fit straight onto the car with a K04 ...I assume it won't unless you fabricate pipework.
    Is there any benefits to fitting a TT manifold? I heard from a Seat owner that he fitted the ATP manifold from Star performance onto a Leon Cupra R that runs KO4 and he got power pulses he nw runs an eliminator which is better but seems laggy from what he says.

Idealy a K04 bolt on that produces 260+ would suit me on a tight budget. Track use essentially is hard on cars b ut if I keep the boost at sensible levels like I am running now and I achieve 260+ I would be happy.

Ian

5. badger5

for about a week. ;) then you will want more. Then what?

6. ianb Forum Member

It's a disease.....a bad one at that

Ian

7. A.N. Other Banned after significant club disruption Dec 5th 2

So true. Lot to be said for doing the whole hog from the outset if possible, though you miss all the loops you can go through, and all that important tinkering time !

8. ianb Forum Member

Big budget going the whole hog from the beggining.

I sometimes reflect on whether it's just as well buying something out the box from the factory all done eg a Evo MR 320/340...a Honda Integra DC5 makes a good buy too but it's not as soft as the MKIV and has little torque.
    No matter what you buy road car wise there's no such thing as the ultimate track and road car something has to compromise.

At least what I've done is all track biased but the car is still very refined for road use.
    It just lacks ultimate grunt but the fear of breakages and it's associated costs when pushing a big turbo car puts me off investing thousands into the car.

Big heat thrashing sessions on track causes reliability issues. I still may consider running low boost with Bill's IHI unit when available as we have discussed...at least it should hopefully generate alot less heat. As I said 280-300 will be more than enough and I'm sure a VF34 IHI unit will produce that with ease.

Ian

9. badger5

caterfield? bike engined.... [:D]

10. Gazhatt Forum Member

Bill, what would you regard as 'safe' levels of boost?
    I'm running the VF34 (18 exhaust housing) on DTA with uprated rods, pistons, comp 9:1 on AGU. Was running 1.25bar giving 330bhp, just put some grey's in for a bit more fuelling and some more boost. I'm running a Profec B controller and was thinking about running 1.1 / 1.2bar on 1st stage boost for everyday/track use and 1.6 / 1.7bar on second stage for 3rd gear change on 1/4 mile stuff.

Any thoughts?
    Gary

11. badger5

The higher boost is what shortens its life IMHO.
    I used to run these levels, and on track use (not 1/4 mile) it would lead to exhaust housing distortion and melting. Others have suffered bearing failures.

For 1/4 mile you may well get away with it being low duration.

It'll happily produce it however.

I invested in EGT sensor and wideband AFR logging/display on mine so I could always keep an eye on it. (zeitronix)

You should be fine... but run this level on a track day and I suspect you will suffer the same issues I have had.

12. Gazhatt Forum Member

Cheers Bill, to be honest I think 1.2bar will be enough for trackdays - my old KO3s was quick enough for me around Combe just lacked power through the revs and was almost a bit boring!!

I had a look at the Zeitronix site - any dealers here in the UK? I would only want a display for a/f and egt's - no need for logging - a road map is all I can read! Any other alternatives for monitoring these available?

Gary

13. badger5

mines a display too... I have boost sensor on there also... it gives max figures via tell tale button which I find usefull when coming off track.
    no uk dealers I bought one in ok from the US.

There aresome EGT/A/F combined guages I've seen but I cant remember their blummin name.. google might help you.

http://www.driftworks.co.uk/catalog/product_info.php?products_id=319

something like this perhaps?

14. Gazhatt Forum Member

Had a look at the dual gauges, to be honest when you add up the cost of sensor's the zeitronix kit seems better value. I take it I would use the lambada plug in downpipe for a/f sensor - no problem there, would need to drill the manifold for egt sensor?, would I need the sensor for boost or could I tee off from existing line to controller?

There is a couple of suppliers in uk - Performance 5 and UK Tuning - but all in about 100 more then direct from zeitronix.

15. badger5

I bought direct, service was fine.
    I bought their sensor. You T off the manifold for source.
    lambda goes into lambda boss yes.
    EGT goes into an 1/8th NPT fitting which can be welded somewhere close to the turbo outlet.. Ideally this would be pre-turbine, but I chickened out of doing this as if thew probe tip failed it would hit the turbine on its exit.. Mines on turbine outlet on DP. You could drill and tap 1/8" NPT into mani I guess. I had another sensor (cant remember why or where from tho) which was a strap on... ohh errr.. [:$] Just drill a hole on that one and the stainless steel strap thing would clamp it to the pipe.