kr block breather hose

Discussion in 'Engines' started by pigbladder, Apr 20, 2006.

1. pigbladder Forum Addict

a while ago i replaced the breather hose that goes from the block to the airbox....ive been told that there should be some kind of restrictor/mesh in that hose to prevent excessive oil going to the airbox

can anyone confirm that there should be something in that hose ...any ideas what its like

2. onnie Forum Member

yep there certainly is smething in there, i took it out once, it looks like a little tiny ball of wire wool, only not as densely packed as wool...

:)

3. pigbladder Forum Addict

that would explain the oil in the airbox

anyone know if they sell that mesh

4. mk1. Forum Junkie

I always thought it came as part of the hose?

5. mexicorich Forum Member

Vent it away from your inlet to a catch tank, chassis rail or the ground.
    Any oil vapour contamination of your inlet charge reduces the octane

6. pigbladder Forum Addict

no they dont come with that bit...i brough a proper vw one

not really wanting to re route it...i like standard look

7. rupe Forum Member

I posted about this a while ago after finding it in the sink after washing the hose out.
    Lost the picture now but it was just a ball of copper wire, the general consensus at the time was to put it back in. I think I found it on etka but it says part number unknown.

8. pigbladder Forum Addict

u recon a scouring pad would do??

9. Looks like a really used up brillo pad, so if you do all the dishes you might get the part...... plus the gf will perform fellatio.

10. pigbladder Forum Addict

and this brillo pad goes in the widest part of the hose??

11. On mine (heavy breather) I just scrunched it up and pushed it up the hole while it was wet - don't think it could realy matter where in the hose it is. Run the engine up to hot straight after though, to dry it out so it won't rust....... you can buy brass wire wool if you're really picky, but it's caused no probs for me so far. *Vague sound of engine exploding in the far distance.......*

12. pigbladder Forum Addict

i recall seeing some brassy/ bronze looking pad scourers in the 1 shop....i'll go see what they got

13. Paulc Forum Member

what effect does this hose being blocked have on the running of the car?

14. pigbladder Forum Addict

blocked hose will pressurise the bottom end....maybe cause high oil use

15. mr_roggger Forum Member

Given my 16V currently has a crappy rubber grommet fitted over the breather outlet with a piece of hosepipe atatched to it and and air box I think it's time to replace this. Only question is, which part number is it from GSF as the only one I can find that seems relevant for a 16V is:
    10463A OIL BREATHER POD G2 1.8 Inj. 88> 34.50
    Is that what I need, a "pod"...Isnt it supposed to be a long black pipe with a few right angles in it? Can't even find one at ECP [:x]

On a related note, I'll fix this because some yellow hosepipe in the engine bay looks tatty, but will it really effect the car much, you say high oil usage, but surely nothing comparable to possible shagged stem seals?
    Thanks.

16. pigbladder Forum Addict

mr rogger....id phone em up and ask if they can grab one off the shelf and describe it

17. mr_roggger Forum Member

Yes, or I could just pop down there, not too far away, EPC is on the way too. However, at that price think I'll go via VW too!
    Thanks.

18. GolfBryan Forum Member

Does anyone have VW part number for this and cost roughly?

Thanks

19. coolrunnings Forum Member

BARSTEWARD!

I was checking for any leaks when i came across this mesh in in the breather pipe. Thought that was causing me some probs. Was delighted until i read this.
    Sure i chucked it in the garden somewhere.

20. coolrunnings Forum Member

Hope a metal ring binder all scrunnched up works. Cause thats what i did!