KR difficult to start on warm days!!??

Discussion in 'K-Jetronic OEM injection' started by t111bul, Oct 5, 2011.

1. t111bul Forum Member

Hi guys,

I have a 1990 mk2 KR 16v that is a right pain to start on warm days! When i first start the car in the morning when its cold outside(14degees ish) it starts striaght up but when i go home from work and the weather is warm(20 degrees and up) the car needs a lot of throttle to get it to go! I have changed the WUR and its still the same. Could it be a faulty temp sensor? I have done a bit of a search but cant find anything else to change. The car runs really well once started and pulls really well so i think its set up ok.
    Can any one help me please?

Thanks in advance

Tim

2. rubjonny

rubjonny Administrator Staff Member Admin

sounds like you're loosing system pressure after shutting down the engine, faulty accumulator or fuel pump non-return valve will cause this. only way to be sure is get the fuel pressures checked! might be down to leaky injectors also, so give them a test:

pull all 4 injectors and put them in 4 containers of equal size. bridge the fuel pump relay so its constantly running, then lift the metering head flap up manually as far as it will go, then allow it to go back down to the stop. check the spray pattern on each injector, and also measure the volume of fuel injected is same on all 4. next disconnect fuel pump bridge wire and wipe all 4 tips, watch the ends and they shouldnt drip for 5 minutes.

If any injector has a problem, swap it with one of the others and repeat the test. If the problem moves, its the injector. if not, its the metering head. Best to replace them as a set, you can get nice brass merc injectors from ebay for reasonable money

non of the injectors should spray any fuel unless the flap is moved upwards a bit. if they do the metering head is toast or the flap needs to be adjusted a bit

3. t111bul Forum Member

Hi, I dont have a fuel preesure test kit but i will check the injectors. I am on my 3rd metering head so i know they can be a problem! I'll test the injectors and let yopu know what i find.