KR top speeds

Discussion in 'Mk2' started by milesmk2, Dec 2, 2010.

1. milesmk2 Forum Member

I bought myself a valver a week ago, and coming home from bristol i thought id give it some havey right foot action to see how fast it would go, and it topped out at 120mph/6000rpm in 5th!

This dosnt seem right to me as my friend's mk1 with a KR does 150mph.....

Any ideas????

2. Devon Dubber

Devon Dubber Forum Member

MK1 is lighter. He might have it tuned or modified too, don't worry too much, there are so many variables to consider.

The top speed for the MK2 16v when it was new was 129mph. With the passage of time and the loss of horses over the years your 120mph is probably not too bad really!:thumbup:

P.S.
    You do not have to say anything, but it may harm your defense if you do not mention........................................:lol:

3. theboymike Forum Junkie

:lol:

I was under the impression that book figure for a stock 16v was 126.. factor in probably speedo error and you should see an indicated figure of anything up to 135ish.

The mass of a car makes no difference to it's top speed; it's all about frontal area and drag coefficient. Unless it's got a sizeable turbo hanging off the back I'd wager the mate with the Mk1 is talking b*llocks :thumbup:

4. nealey Forum Junkie

I ran my old valver upto 130mph on the clocks on a runway but it had previously had a top end rebuild and it still had some pull left in it

The guy who bought it from me got it upto 140mph on the clocks.

Ive driven valvers since then that have felt nowhere near as quick at any speed. There can be a world of difference between them so dont get too down about it

5. Ben S

Ben S Forum Junkie

use GPS speed reading to eliminate differences with clocks, wheels & tyres

6. pigbladder Forum Addict

my speedo is silly optimistic...130 is prob nearer 115 in my car on the gps

does it matter? who steams around at 150mph

7. chrismc Forum Junkie

A stock 16v will eventually top out at 125ish- so anything the other side of 130 will be indicated. Drag increases to the square of speed- hence a 190bhp 16v mk2 will only do a true 130-135 (as proven by mine on a 2 mile runway for Golf+ mag a few years back)

A mk1 with a KR won't pull 150- no chance unless it has some kind of supplementary rocket strapped to it;) Oweing to it's poorer aerodynamics I wouldn't expect it to even be as quick as the mk2 at Vmax

A stock mk1 tops out at 115ish- so it takes a LOT of extra power and some different gearing to pull an extra 35MPH- as well as some big brass balls from the owner:lol:

8. Ben S

Ben S Forum Junkie

Following on from what Chris said, I think it's likely that the '150mph' mk1 had mismatch somewhere between clocks, and wheel/tyre combo

9. neil kaye Forum Junkie

never got why 16v's had 160 on the speedo,when mine was running better than it is atm i had mine at around 125 ish, didnt look at the revs though,but that's all i could get from it

10. geordiegar Forum Member

It should pull more than 6k revs in fifth (on a private road!), has your vac advance pipe come off the ECU?

11. thegave Forum Member

Mine only does about that, and it has a hair dryer :(

12. dUff

dUff Administrator Admin

my old valver used used to pull 139 , that was a sweet 1.8 and always well setup
    another mate had a very high mileage jetta 16v and that pulled exactly the same

13. StuMc

StuMc Moderator and Regional Host - Manchester Moderator

Just for some balance with all this 16v talk;

The highest V-max I saw on the 8v was 131mph (GPS verified). [:D]

14. 2dubnick Forum Junkie

My old 2.0valver pulled off the 160mph clocks on 195/50/15 tyres and a 2y gearbox, that was at about 7000rpm in 5th which according to this is 141mph http://www.scirocco.org/gears/ Iv known of other valvers to pull all the way to the limit in 5th which if they had the same size wheel/tyre and the same gearbox would be 145mph, this of course isnt taking into account drag so Id guesstimate that you could take 10mph off those speeds.

My old very modded 8v hit a gps recorded 125mph down a very slight hill in germany, had crappy long gear rations thou.

15. cometbluecoupe Forum Member

Highest I have dared go in my standard 16v is an indicated 125mph. (approx 110 on the tomtom). Felt pretty shakey and thought it might grenade so backed down! (seemed mean - like the equivalent of making your grandad with a heart bypass run 100m at full pace!)

D

16. squidlegs Forum Member

That 8v punch was desperately needed! :thumbup:

17. Gareth83 Forum Junkie

lol at the 150mph mk1 16v

18. Richard Mk2

Richard Mk2 Paid Member Paid Member

My old K-Jet 8v used to top out at 120.

Haven't tried the Digi, yet ;)

19. LregG

LregG Paid Member Paid Member

my old kr did 151mph.......with the rear seats folded forward for a lower centre of gravity :lol: ;)

Last edited: Dec 2, 2010
  20. theboymike Forum Junkie

:lol::clap: