KR Tuning

Discussion in '16-valve' started by Brunty, Aug 17, 2005.

1. Brunty

Brunty Forum Member

I've just acquired a standard kr engine and box.

I don't need it anytime soon as my 8v is putting 140bhp out already...

What I'm more interested in is stripping it and rebuilding as a blueprinted, lightened and balanced block with a p/p head etc.

Are there any good places to buy pistons etc. from?

Also, what kind of output should I expect from it when running K-Jet or on throttle bodies? I'm aiming for about 200bhp...

Any info on the 'net anywhere? I can find all sorts on the 9A, 6A and ABF :p

Brunty

2. DuBDuDe Forum Member

Get the 2 litre block ;) Loads more torque.

Also to get 200bhp using kjet you will have to run silly cams

3. martyn_16v Forum Junkie

There's a lot more to getting 200bhp out of a valver than silly cams. Are you planning this for a road car? If so 200bhp from a 1.8 even if you could manage it, would be a pig on the road, very revvy but with a narrow power band. You'd be looking a virtually a full race spec engine, . You're far better off going straight for a 2.0 block. The only way for a driveable 200bhp from a 1.8 would be forced induction.

If you do want to go with tuning the KR, most of the information about the 2.0L blocks applies equally to the 1.8.

4. Brunty

Brunty Forum Member

Thanks,

and yes this is going to be more or less a race engine.

Was thinking about the 2L route but was keen to stay with a 1.8 for some silly reason! I think it's when someone comes up to you at a track day and they say Wow, what's under your bonnet?!?

I'm looking for steel pistons, rod and crank, so I'll be going for big revs. Not a problem with liary cams as I'm already using lumpy cams and am used to them, just need to think about keeping the revs up...

Brunty

5. DuBDuDe Forum Member

I was talking about gettin 200bhp from a 2litre. Yes there is lots more involved but still i was talkin about driveabililty and the fact that in the end to squeeze 200bhp from a 2l 16v you will need silly cams.

Soz didnt explain myself properly.

6. iguana Forum Member

Wouldnt waste my time with 1800 personally unless race regs ment you had to.

2.0 is the most effective route but if you dont want to go 2.0L then go 1900 high comp (JE pistons) overbore a KR to 2.0 bore. Mine still standard KR cams & is nudging into the 190bhp area & still on K-jet

7. Dub Nutta Forum Member

What kinda revs u getting on std cams on the 1900 alex? I've got some 81.5mm high comp forged pistons for a 1800 KR i'm building up and would be interested to know where max power would be with some std cams.

8. iguana Forum Member

Dub- still got stock 7.2k rev limit, thats fine on stock cams as power dropping off anyway- peak @ 6.5k

9. GVK

GVK Paid Member Paid Member

What's also good about the Lizard motor, with it's higher CR it's got really good torque for the capacity too 150+ lb/ft :)

What is it exactly Al?

10. ianb Forum Member

Gary

I bet the Lizard won't get as many clutch/transmission/flywheel bolts issues either that can be a pain on 2 litre's when thrashing the nuts off them around track [:s]

Ian

11. GVK

Don't jinx him Ian, it lasted the 'ring trip ok :lol:

12. DuBDuDe Forum Member

But to get that extra 10 bhp you would have to use something rather more lairy than std KR cams wouldnt you?

Yours makes similar power to Tubs and Gary's then? Im hoping mines gonna make similar power when its done. Magnex 4 Branch gets delivered tomo [:D] Need myself a KR inlet cam still.
    Edited by: DuBDuDe

13. iguana Forum Member

GVK- last Stealth run got 188bhp/156Lbft. Have to see how she does on sunday I guess.

Ian- yeh I hope gearbox will suffer less, its been fine so far- about 1000 track miles inc 3 days on slicks which are a big stain on the box, I know its the weak point & im always carefull on changes, so touching wood on it really.

Dub- yeh of course lairy cams 'could' make it epic, but depends on what profiles etc & we know what works on regular 2.0s but what about 1.9HCs?? Id hate to loose all that lovely lowdown torque.

Figures wise a tad more than GVK/Tubs/IanV, think they are 184/180/180 bhp last times round? But the curves are farily diferent, & GVKs & IanVs vs mine= bit different to drive engine characteristics wise. (not been in the Tubs wagon tho)

Think the pistons would need pocketing to run lairy cams tho + the cams cost, so call it 500 area for that 10bhp/10Lbft, not really a great deal in my book!

I have been toying with doing the the twin exhaust cam thing as like the feel it gives GVKs car, but ive not really done anything about it

If the lairy cams thang was a route I planned on taking- well really got to go the whole hog & get well into the 200s= big valve head- TBs etc etc etc

14. DuBDuDe Forum Member

Not really value for moeny is it. 500 notes and all that grief for 10bhp. I woudlnt bother.

15. GVK

:lol:

16. martyn_16v Forum Junkie

500 for 10bhp and 10lb/ft isn't bad IMO. If you are building a proper race engine you can spend thousands looking for those last few ponies.