L.S.D options...

Discussion in 'Mk1' started by Playo-M3, Feb 21, 2010.

1. fthaimike Forum Addict

Seem to be problems with the bolts or fitment from reading it.

2. mk1t4 Forum Member

Ive got a quaife atb in my 020 box, and Im well happy with it so far, although it is early days. So nice to have more traction now in the first few gears and getting power down early outa bends! I think most quaiffe products come with lifetime warranty, so no worries with quality, its usually the box or other internals that go first.
    I was lucky enough to get one on ebay, but with all that bhp in a mk1 in the long run its money well spent as the driveability will be up up up! . I struggled to get a reputable gearbox rebuilder which meant it took ages to get done, so I cant really recommend someone.
    Good luck;)

3. LazyLunatic Forum Member

yeah just the rest of the thread and wow didnt expect that! it does appear to fine for the 02a box and people do seem to praise it, but i dont know if i would take the risk when it comes to spending soo much money.

wish i had the cash for the TSR Quaife group buy!! but wont be looking into a new diff til end of this year [:^(]

4. Playo-M3 New Member

+1

Maybe we can try doing another with them in the autumn, I know at least 1 more who's looking for one about then

5. Admin Guest

+2

I think i'll be looking for one to.

6. LazyLunatic Forum Member

i think if say 5 of us went to TSR later in the year, im sure they could give us a discount.

7. Admin Guest

though i'm tempted to hunt around in the states for a peloquin. if the dollar improves on the pound.

8. jonlen Forum Member

if you guys want to do a group buy i will want one for an 02j

9. Playo-M3 New Member

Hey Jon! It's Darren who bought your black mk1

Getting busy with her mate ;)

10. jonlen Forum Member

yeah how is it????

my blue one is coming along and im thinking its gonna need an lsd.

11. The db

The db Forum Junkie

LSD is the nuts. Just got my new mk2 which has LSD and can feel the difference with the LSD, although takes some getting used to with regards to feel etc.

12. Dave

Dave *Very Smart* Pedantic Old Fart Paid Member

Hi all.
    Please post, or pm me with, which oil you are using with your LSDs.
    Most interesting thread!!

Last edited: Mar 13, 2010
  13. mk1t4 Forum Member

Redline MTL, 020 mk2 8v box with quaife atb

14. Dave

Noted, thanks.

15. The db

The db Forum Junkie

I'm told my box is using standard VW gearbox oil (but has been religiously changed every 5k). mk2 16v 02A box with quaife on a 20vt.

16. Dave

That would be GL-5 then. Thanks.

17. LCRtrackcar New Member

I'm getting a Wavetrac Diff fitted to my gear box as we speak.
    This is on a MK1 Seat Leon Cupra R that I'm getting ready for track days.

It has the VAG 02M Gear box.
    This is being fitted by Vince at Stealth (who else, lol) and hope to get it back next week.

My mate is fitting one to his 360 BHP/340ft-lbs MK2 Leon Cupra.
    This will be fitted to the car on the 1st of April and the car will see some track days during the summer.

I'll try and let you guys know how I'm getting on with it if your interested.
    I got a good price through PSI Tuning on this

18. Playo-M3 New Member

LCRtrackcar- I'd be very interested in how you get on with it, so please update us! :)

Wicked mate!

Managed to shoe horn a Corrado humped rear bench in and got myself some Ford RS Recaros for the front, getting them retrimmed in a black/grey leather then. Also waiting on a set of Compo TH's to turn up today....Next it's some lower strut braces and roll bars and a little remap of the emerald to get it running spot on ;)

We should meet up when you get old Bluey running mate ;)

19. LCRtrackcar New Member

Will do, was hoping to get it in before the snow went, I think we've seen the back of it for this year.
    I have my first track day, at Knockhill this year in this on the 6th of May so will see how well I can get the power down out of the hair pin

20. LCRtrackcar New Member

Well that's the Wavetrac diff fitted :)

I bought a MK4 Golf GTI Anniversary 02M FZQ Gear Box for 220 :)

This, an autotec Wavetrac Differential and a fitting kit was sent down to Vince at Stealth Racing.
    With a slight refurb to the gear box (rough feeling bearing and 5th cog) the diff was fitted with no issues and sent back to me.
    I fitted this on Monday to my 2003 Seat Leon Cupra R.

This is the first differential I've had so perhaps I'm not the right person to be drawing comparisons.

Initially on the very first corner you could feel the car wanted to understeer less and was more happy about powering out of corners without washing out wide.
    The more I've driven it the more I've grown in confidence to accelerate earlier and earlier in corners.
    This is allowing more to carry more speed through corners without ANY fuss.

If I didn't know for sure there was a differential fitted in this box and I hadn't known the characteristics of the car very well there is no way you could tell there was a differential in the gear box.
    It's operation is perfectly seamless, it just does its bit with no fuss.

As I haven't had experience of a differential before I've asked some other guys with the same car and gear box to let me know how their car feels with their differential fitted.
    These guys have either a Peloquin or Quaife fitted to the same 02M gear boxes.

All of them say there is a noticable point where the differential takes over the proceedings, often causing the wheel to be 'snatched' out of their hands on the way to the nearest curb/hedge.

I've got a mate who has fitted the Wavetrac to his 370 BHP/340ft-lbs MK2 Leon Cupra, the performance of his diff is EXACTLY the same as mine, smooth and seamless.

Only issue so far is in a wheel spin situation, due to both wheels spinning there is nothing you can do to change the direction of the car until you regain a bit of traction, as you can imagine this happens very easily on a 340 ft-lbs FWD car, lol

So all in all I'm LOVING this, I've always been more handling based than power based so this is the icing on my handling cake.

Cars other handling/suspension mods:

- MK4 R32 23mm front ARB

- Uprated engine mounts to include transmission and gear box mounts

- 28mm adjustable rear ARB

- S3 front upper strutt brace (lower fitted in OEM guise)

- uprated wishbone bushes

- KWV3 coilovers car lowered 25mm with a 'slight' control arm angle

Hope this helps other decide which direction to take.
    If it helps, it was a very difficult decision to make to take a different route to the well trodden Peloquin/Quaife path.
    BUT, after hearing how the others perform and feeling how mine performs I'm 100% happy.

First track day of the year, 6th of May at Knockhill