Laid up insurance cover (long)

Discussion in 'Insurance chat' started by Jez, Jun 3, 2004.

1. JEZ

Jez Forum Member

Hello all,

I have a small problem arrising in the next few weeks. My insurance is due to renewal on the 14th, but I'm going to court on the 28th for what is quite possibly a 12 month ban. If I am to receive a ban I'd still like the car insured for fire and theft (bad run of luck lately, so not taking any chances).

I've had laid up cover with HIC in the past, but they won't touch me with a pending conviction. The general concensus I get from insurance companies is that they'll cover me with a pending conviction to drive the car, but if I do get a ban I will need to cancel the policy and they won't offer me any type of cover (i.e, not laid up) with a ban.

Does anyone know of any companies who offer laid up cover for peeps with a ban?

I can see my only option is to transfer the car to my dad's name and pay for him to insure the car or to sell it?!

On the upside it looks like it's pretty much 50/50 that I'm convicted (long story, but to cut it short I've been awarded legal aid to fight).

Any advice/help appreciated :)

Jez

2. Claypole Forum Junkie

I'd go with the easiest and pass it to your dad. anything will just be a nightmare with the insurance companies and possible end up with you not being properly covered or them trying to evade any possible claim at a later date.