larger throttle body on a 2e 2.0 8v?

Discussion in '8-valve' started by steeldonkey, Jul 9, 2007.

1. steeldonkey New Member

as above really, are there any larger throttle bodies that can be fitted up the the standard intake minofold, i.e an audi one or somthing?

as allways cheers for the help in advance!

2. steeldonkey New Member

i guess thats a no then, oh well out with the dremel

3. drunkenalan Paid Member Paid Member

what are you trying to acheive?

i doubt that a bigger throttle will make much difference on a NA engine

4. steeldonkey New Member

looking for that bit of extra ooommmph is or in the process of being stripped, chipped, underdrive pully, cam, vernier, solid lifters, de-cat.

im a bmw man really, so going on what can give good gains on those, larger TB's often gave a marked improvement.

this car will be my track project while my m3 is still off the road :-(

5. drunkenalan Paid Member Paid Member

The biggest gains would be in modifying the head larger valves + P&P (see group buys). 4 branch manifold again good sgains to be had for little money - not sure if that what you mean by de cat.

6. steeldonkey New Member

i could do the head myself i suppose if i can find a spare on the cheap, de cat = removing the cat from the exhaust system.

7. drunkenalan Paid Member Paid Member

in that case a Big valve head would give the biggest gains.

A home P&P will help, as above 4 branch exhaust, can be had from ebay for 100 to 200 quid.

Have you got the usual filters and exhaust etc

8. steeldonkey New Member

it wont be a normal exhaust :lol: more like a centre box and some pipe, this is a budget car, all my spare cash is going into repairing the engine in my 3.0 M3.

i was planning to use it for some track fun, target bhp is 135-145 bhp which i dont think is stupid as it should have somwere in the region of 115 for a kick off.

my concern would be that by cutting down the guides to improve airflow i will end uk with shagged guides after a few k of hammering.

i will have a pop at flowing and maybe enlarging the TB and see if it makes any difference, worst case i will have either wasted my time or need to spend a tenner on a replacement TB :lol:

9. wildwilliebaret Forum Member

audi 100 tb made a hell of a difference to my standard 8v!

10. nealey Forum Junkie

Is that on a mk2?

Whats the difference with the audi tb? Ive heard someone mention them beofre, do they have just the one large butterfly instead of the 2 as found on the mk2

11. steeldonkey New Member

now were talking!! will the audi 100 TB fit a 2E in a 92 mk3, is it a larger air plate or twin plates?

12. drunkenalan Paid Member Paid Member

i thought the audi throttle is only any good on mk1' and mk2's on kjet

i thought that the 2e was a large single plate.

13. steeldonkey New Member

the 2e is indeed a large single plate, im after either an even larger plate, or two even larger plates. i have a sneakey suspision that maybe a a TB off an older bmw M20 2.0 or 2.5 might fit.

14. wildwilliebaret Forum Member

the audi is 2 plates, 1 the same size as standard the second lots bigger, so you still have drivability, but when foot heads floorwards she goes
    it is on a mk1 kjet, i dont know iff itll fit a mk3 sorry.
    i have noticed shes running alot hotter, despite my 85deg thermoswitch and mk2 fan set on fast!!
    reckon i need to richen the mix a bit.

15. fthaimike Forum Addict

This is what people were thinking about when fitting the bigger Audi to the mk1 on k-jet & the inlet ground out:
    [​IMG]

16. drunkenalan Paid Member Paid Member

as you can see its a different shape so, i dont think it will fit the 2e inlet manifold.

17. Toyotec

Toyotec CGTI Committee - Happy helper at large Admin

If is a 2E single plate these come as 54mm. You port out the "hump" in them to improve flow or put a larger ABF 65mm TB by slotting the bolt holes slighty.
    MK2 twin stage TBs are the same size as Audi jobs unlike the ones found in MK1s. Mk2 2 stage throttles seem to flow around the same amount of air as a ABF 65mm single. You can port the ABF single unit to increase flow not that is would matter at 5500rpm as its still an 8v.
    As drunkenalan suggested you really need to get a BVH or cam or both to make the engine have higher VEs past 4500rpm.
    You would also have to recalibrate the EMS to suit the new potenial VEs
    135-140 with 140lbft should be attainable if you harmonise this package right.

VE = Volumetric Efficiency = Breathing = Torque = Feel

Last edited: Jul 12, 2007