Late Mk1 Cab / Caddy / Scirocco fuel lift pump.

Discussion in 'Mk1' started by Dclarke, Mar 9, 2014.

1. rubjonny

rubjonny Administrator Staff Member Admin

should do you fine, if you prefer to mount the tank under the car you can fit it where the fuel accumulator used to go, but it depends what orientation the tank is I suppose

2. Dclarke Forum Member

Quick update for you chaps. It's all coming together, the new tank and filler neck are at the powder coaters, the new in tank lift pump assembly is here, big up Ben S:thumb up:. The old tank is out and the last two litres that drained from it were pretty brown with some crumbs in there. Found half a dozen magnets too so someone has been in there before. One big thing I did find was a shard of rust about half an inch long that fell out of the fuel feed into the 044 pump so think this may be the main issue. On the RR we bypassed the accumulator and the pressure dropped even more, suggesting that even at 30 odd years old and in a dire state, it was helping. The banjo bolt pipe on the end of the 044 pump had a kink in it too so it's all being replaced. The one small issue I have is that the GTI level sender has two connections, the lift pump version a third. Does anyone know which pins are which? A few pics:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

3. tshirt2k

tshirt2k Forum Junkie

I have that issue too. Need a plug really to connect it up bout not got round to it yet.

4. rubjonny

rubjonny Administrator Staff Member Admin

I've not found a diagram that shows it, but if you have a multimeter it should be easy enough. test each pin, 1 of them should have continuity to the fuel pump only, thats the pump live. 1 will have continuity to the pump and also the level sender circuit board, thats your earth. finally the last pin will have continuity only to the level sender board, thats obv the level sender wire :)

for the plug can get them from many places, good one is any mk2 golf lighting looms it has 2 of them for the headlight leveller motors, plus pre-90 mk2 gti use them for the lift pump

5. Dclarke Forum Member

Thats brilliant, many thanks Jonny, Electrics aren't my strong point but I'll give it a go with a fire extinguisher close by! It'll start going back together next week so more updates to follow. Many thanks again, Dunc. :thumbup:

Last edited: Mar 24, 2014