Leak from split rim :(

Discussion in 'Wheels and Tyres' started by Trev16v, Jul 22, 2004.

1. Trev16v

Trev16v Paid Member Paid Member

In that case, I've f*cked them up and I can't be bothered with them anymore. What's the point.
    Edited by: Trev16v

2. Trev16v

Personally I'd have thought that the silicone underneath the outer rim is going to be an extremely thin film, because it all gets pushed out when the bolts are torqued. I've also sealed it where you're supposed to seal it as well.

Tempted to redo the bloody things now though.

3. alexc Forum Member

Trev,

I did mine the same way you did yours, applying both to the face and the back and they haven't leaked in the last year at all. I spoke to a number of people who've done these wheels (including Image) before I did them, some do it, some don't.

If I were you, I'd remove the tyre, cut out the old sealant from underneath and reseal, put plenty on, the high modulus sealant is the one that Image recommended, they use Dunlop but any brand from a hardware store is fine.

It's only a minor setback.

4. sportline cab Forum Member

dont wanna confuse this anymore, but when i bought my rm's from g60 imports, they had a sealant that wasnt dry and stayed realy soft ang guey. What sought of sealent is this as its not the same as silicone.

5. Trev16v

Right - thanks for the advice guys - I had the tyre removed from the faulty rim and I decided to completely re-assemble it. It didn't take me that long at all. I bolted it up try as recommended. I'll probably do the rest shortly - especially the other front one, anyway.

Thanks

Trev

6. altern8 Forum Junkie

make sure you clean both surfaces properly :)

7. Trev16v

Silly question maybe but how do you recommend the surfaces are cleaned? I spent ages just making sure that the surfaces were completely free of old sealant. Wire brushed, then scrubbed really hard with a coarse cloth, squirted on some metal degreaser...