LED inspection lights - thoughts?

Discussion in 'Tools, Equipment & Fasteners' started by mookie, Dec 15, 2008.

1. mookie Forum Member

I'm after something that would let me do some work on the car after I get home from work this winter - i.e. in pitch darkness ;)

Had a look on Machine Mart and they've got a couple - 22 for a 30LED jobbie, and 34 for a 34 one that looks a bit more rugged. I've seen something similar in Euro Car Parts recently too. Basically it needs to be rechargeable and bright enough to hand on the bonnet and fiddle about, possible paired with a forehead torch thingy too. Can't see anything on the Halfords website, but I'd assume they'd probs sell something like this instore too?

Anyone tried these things before? I just want to make sure it's not just a wimpy torch and actually useful for what I want to use it for.

2. newkid

newkid Forum Member

3. Tall Paul Forum Member

4. vrbanana Forum Junkie

The Redashe lamps are very good, I have two and wouldn’t use anything else, not cheap though.

One thing to remember with all the lamps is don’t get solvents near the lens or it goes white and dulls the light

5. mookie Forum Member

How useful are these sort of LED lamps to work on the car in the dark? Bright enough for a good ol' fiddle under the bonnet?

6. TurbTech Forum Junkie

This looks pretty cool and could come in handy.

7. Mike_H Forum Addict

I've got one of those, and a big Halfords one that looks like a big old fashioned torch. The battery in the halfords one doesn't last long - maybe an hour of continuous use, although it gives out loads of light. The Ring one lasts longer, and is good to hang under the bonnet / off your overalls, etc. It's not very good in free standing mode though.

8. newkid

newkid Forum Member

i know what you mean. We've got a real big torch from Halfords at home aswell. Think its about 7,500,000 candle power. It gives out brilliant light but doesnt last very long. I use a Britax led hand lamp at work, it gives good light. It has a hook on the top to enable it to be hung off things but it also has a magnet on the back so you can stick it on to something out the way.. Unfortunately it doesnt have a free standing type option unless you can balance it somehow.

A bit geeky but I also have some of these I use for work. Good for doing dash board jobs with etc.
    http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/NEW-ULTRA-BRI...14&_trkparms=72:1298|66:2|65:12|39:1|240:1318

Last edited: Dec 16, 2008
  9. barny Forum Member

We've stopped selling them as we've had two come back melted via the charging circuit. And loads of complaints about the cost so sell the Ring ones for about 21 instead:)

10. Mike_H Forum Addict

Who's 'we', Barny. Any danger of a bit of CGTI discount ;)

11. Collie Forum Junkie

The switches on the ring i found were rubbish always sticking, had 2 now, wont get another.

Now have a petzl head torch much better and is always where your looking, i work on the roadside a lot and find it invaluable,

Before i built my workshop at home i used a halogen lamp , like a security lamp on a long cable and put it on a tripod, Masses of light ,water proof out of the box, and never needs charging etc .

I find hand held torch's an inconvenience, always rolling off and falling over etc, and if you get someone else to hold it they never pay attention. and drift off with the light.

Last edited: Dec 18, 2008
  12. skint_golfer

skint_golfer Forum Member

13. barny Forum Member

I work here www.allpartsautomotive.co.uk - but thats about as cheap as i can do 'em plus vat. 7.50 carriage

14. A.N. Other Banned after significant club disruption Dec 5th 2

Bit more info from another thread here

15. Claypole Forum Junkie

I have one when i was working on my house with no lighting, brilliant but they aren't half hot to work anywhere near so maybe a nice heat source when you're outside. :lol:

16. mk28vICED Forum Member

tripod ones are awesome just dont bash them or knock them i go through loads of bulbs! and its annoying creating shadows all the time when you work in front of it!

17. adiebear New Member

I've got a an led handlamp, use it all the time at work, its a blue point one. Cost 30 from snap -on really reliable, you can probably get decent cheaper ones but my advice is make sure you get one with ni-mh batteries and not ni-cd ones as they last longer and don't need to be fully discharged before recharging.